Author Topic: Map Making Help  (Read 11094 times)

I want to make a slate edit using this skybox http://imgur.com/IF2JN but i don't even know where to start.

1. Cut it into six images, starting with the panoramic portion. Name each of them 1-4. Then cut the top portion and name it 5.
2. Resize all of them to 256x256.
3. Save them as JPGs.
4. Cut the bottom portion and save it as a 4x4 JPG named 6.
5. Create a TXT called "resource."
6. Inside resource.txt type:
Code: [Select]
7. Rename resource.txt to resource.dml, if it is not a DML then you will have no skybox.
8. Put it all in a folder, name it whatever you want then place the skybox's folder into your map folder.
9. Reference the skybox in your map's MIS and you now have a working skybox.

If you need to know anything else, look at default skyboxes or other people's skyboxes. That's how I learned to make one, it's very easy.

1. Cut it into six images, starting with the panoramic portion. Name each of them 1-4. Then cut the top portion and name it 5.
3. Save them as JPGs.
5. Create a TXT called "resource."
6. Inside resource.txt type:
Code: [Select]
7. Rename resource.txt to resource.dml, if it is not a DML then you will have no skybox.
8. Put it all in a folder, name it whatever you want then place the skybox's folder into your map folder.
9. Reference the skybox in your map's MIS and you now have a working skybox.

If you need to know anything else, look at default skyboxes or other people's skyboxes. That's how I learned to make one, it's very easy.
It may be better to resize them to 512*512.

Whats the "panoramic Portion?  because "panoramic" means Birds-Eye view, but it cant be the bottom.

It may be better to resize them to 512*512.

Each portion right now is 400, resizing them to 512 would deteriorate the quality. As-is it is already somewhat unappealing.

Whats the "panoramic Portion?  because "panoramic" means Birds-Eye view, but it cant be the bottom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panoramic_photography

The panoramic part is horizontal.

Downsizing a 400* texture to 256* removes pixels and detail from the original image. Upsizing it to 512* doesn't remove any pixels. You could scale the image up to 10* the original scale and it would still look the same in game.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:39:57 PM by Plexious »

Downsizing a 400* texture to 256* removes pixels and detail from the original image. Upsizing it to 512* doesn't remove any pixels. You could scale the image up to 10* the original scale and it would still look the same in game.

Then scale it up to 512 :cookieMonster: