Author Topic: Zero-G Space/Slate Help  (Read 23561 times)

Hello,

I was trying to make a map that there is slate on the bottom of the map, looks normal, and then when you get to a certain height, you are in Zero-G Space...help anyone?

BTW, i am new to Mission Editor, im just trying to mess around with it, but i couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

Being new to Mission Editor, I would say just try using a waterblock high above the map. Change the texture to look like a cloud or something so it isn't awkward. (Or make it invisible)

Use a physical zone. They're under Mission Objects then Environment as I recall. You can do a lot more than gravity with them. Setting GravityMod to 0 will make you weightless. Note that while you can go up by jetting, there is no way to go down without events, a gun with recoil, or a vehicle, so you'll just float away in space forever (actually until you hit the top of the physical zone, at which point you'll float around like you're on water, and then if you jet above and fall through it you'll keep going down - remember Newton's laws).

Refer to this for documentation:
http://tdn.garagegames.com/wiki/WorldBuilding/MissionEditor/PhysicalZone
(you need a garagegames account to view it but they are free)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:11:13 AM by Wedge »

Wow that's perfect for space, I wish I had messed around with those earlier. Mr.X98, I would recommend not making it completely Zero-G if you want players to still have standard Blockland functionality for building etc. Since you can't use jets to propel yourself downwards it would get extremely annoying continuously floating upwards, but if you're only going for the effect and not playability go right ahead.

http://forum.returntoblockland.com/dlm/viewFile.php?id=172

Thats kinda what i wanted to do, except therd be slate with regular g below it, is it possible to make it look normal on the slate part, then space higher up?

Thats kinda what i wanted to do, except therd be slate with regular g below it, is it possible to make it look normal on the slate part, then space higher up?

Raise the waterblock so it doesn't touch the ground? And then perhaps you could add in a cloud layer to simulate where you leave the earth's atmosphere.

Well you can use volumetric fog if you've got terrain, but if it's a slate map you'll have to use a waterblock for clouds. You can create one with minimal width, no bouyancy, etc, but you might still make a splashing sound when you pass through it. Physical zones will generally give youbetter gravity but zero gravity is hard to move in. Your best bet is using a super thin  waterblock for a transitional cloud layer and then one above that for low gravity since you can press shift to go down. A physical zone with low gravity will also work but as mentioned before, zero gravity physical zones are hard to deal with.

wait, would it be possible, from that point, to make the sky look black?

wait, would it be possible, from that point, to make the sky look black?

No, you can only have one skybox.