Author Topic: Computer Help - Installing new PCI-E graphics card with no integrated chip  (Read 1124 times)

How do I go about installing my new pci-express graphics card into my computer with no integrated graphics chip in my motherboard? I need help. Ask any questions you need I'll be more than happy to answer. It's an ASUS M4A77TD mobo with a geforce 8400 GS pci-express card.

slip it into the slot and turn on the computer. I'm not sure what you're asking exactly you don't need updated drivers for it to display on the monitor.

I did that, my monitor is flashing as if it's attached but it's not getting a signal. Black screen.
Edit: by flashing I mean the button's backlight is flashing. My old one just stopped working one day, I checked between another monitor and all that. It's definitely just the card.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:13:58 PM by JD »

You know I had that problem once and I just kept restarting the computer out of desperation and like the 10th time it just decided to work on its own.

I'll try that lol. any other ideas

um, make sure you put it in the right slot?

Make sure the VGA or DVI or HDMI cable is attatched correctly?

Once windows loads install the drivers. 

That's already done and should've been really kind of assumed.. As I said, windows isn't 'loading.' I can't install the drivers (so far) since as I said, the screen stays black and no connection is made. So what am I supposed to do. That's just common sense dude.

Your GPU is probably broken if the monitor turns on but can't display the BIOS screen.

I tried both. Could it be the motherboard.

Are you sure it's inserted fully into the correct slot type?

Also, if the monitor displays errors, it's the GPU's fault. The monitor just takes an input signal, the GPU handles what shows up on the screen.

I'm 100% sure everything is in properly. And the monitor isn't displaying a single thing, simply just the blank screen. Like, I know all of this kind of thing. I've just never done this specific thing before nor have I heard of it (I mean, it's not that often that you find a mobo without an integrated chip as either backup or the primary source of a GPU) so I just need help with this specific problem and troubleshooting whether or not it's specifically my graphics card or motherboard or if they're working fine and I just need to install the drivers a certain way even if it means putting my harddrive into another computer and installing it that way.

Do you have another PCI-E slot you could try it with?

If you have onboard video your computer probably doesnt know what device to boot, take out the graphics card and boot using the onboard video, then go into the device manager and disable the onboard video, after you turn it off install the new video card and it should boot up correctly.

Do you have another PCI-E slot you could try it with?
Unfortunately, only one.
If you have onboard video your computer probably doesnt know what device to boot, take out the graphics card and boot using the onboard video, then go into the device manager and disable the onboard video, after you turn it off install the new video card and it should boot up correctly.
(I mean, it's not that often that you find a mobo without an integrated chip as either backup or the primary source of a GPU)
with no integrated graphics chip in my motherboard?
Quote from: Title
with no integrated chip