Author Topic: These lights don't seem right...  (Read 408 times)

So I'm making a night version of an airport, and when I put lights on the runway, they look like this.

but when I move like, a half step forward, they show up.

this is how looking down the runway looks:

Is that just how the game is, or is there  a setting I can tweak to make them show up farther away?
(specifically when landing an airplane?)

The light is being blocked by another brick or you have graphics on low detail to prevent lag.

so if I were to put them up on a pole, would that help, them not being blocked by a brick or anything?

I have my graphics up to the highest settings.

You've got too many lights for the engine to handle- it's got a hardcoded limit to how many can be shown at once (I want to say 11, but I might be remembering wrong). 

We'll just say, for the sake of explanation, that it is 11.  Once you've got 12 lights enabled, it's going to disable all but the 11 that are closest to you.  It doesn't matter which direction you're looking, either, because it checks the stage (the map) instead of the viewport (what you can see in the BL window).  That's why that weirdness happens when you have a lot of lights.

If you're only going to have one player on at a time, or all your players are definitely going to be close to one spot at once, you can use onPlayerTouch on a baseplate to shut off farther lights so they work a little more predictably.

You've got too many lights for the engine to handle- it's got a hardcoded limit to how many can be shown at once (I want to say 11, but I might be remembering wrong). 

We'll just say, for the sake of explanation, that it is 11.  Once you've got 12 lights enabled, it's going to disable all but the 11 that are closest to you.  It doesn't matter which direction you're looking, either, because it checks the stage (the map) instead of the viewport (what you can see in the BL window).  That's why that weirdness happens when you have a lot of lights.

If you're only going to have one player on at a time, or all your players are definitely going to be close to one spot at once, you can use onPlayerTouch on a baseplate to shut off farther lights so they work a little more predictably.
I thought it was seven?
and it's an openGL limitation i think

suggestion: use eksi's lightpack.