Author Topic: 2012/08/09 - Shader Update Released  (Read 163597 times)

It still annoys me how people keep saying things like "ogm this updaet suks i want terians!!!!" even though the update already happened. I really had hoped the complaints would stop after the update came out, but no.

It still annoys me how people keep saying things like "ogm this updaet suks i want terians!!!!" even though the update already happened. I really had hoped the complaints would stop after the update came out, but no.
It'll all be over soon...

It'll all be over soon...
It'll be over once everyone who's pissed off about this update leaves Blockland for good

It'll be over once everyone who's pissed off about this update leaves Blockland for good
People will get used to it sooner or later.
That or a bunch of cigarettes start downgrading to V19 or V20

The Shaders don't work with Intel graphics cards, I think you should add support in V22(if you plan on doing that anyways)

Alright, time to clear some things up.

A lot of people are worried by the fact that their PC or Laptop does not take kindly to the update. Whether it's a low framerate, you crash when turning shadows or shaders on or even if they don't even display when you have them on - people are complaining about it.

Point is, everyone is complaining about how the new graphical update doesn't work for them or is poorly optimized. This was expected. We are merely playing a test release, with some extra goodies thrown in. Most of us have known this, or should remember this.

Back when the update was first announched, kompressor implied that we will get a test release. That the developers will continue to optimize the shadows and shaders and fix whatever bugs are encountered. kompressor stated that if you could run Blockland pre-shadows and shaders, you would be able to run it with them on. Obviously this is not the case as of now, but it will be fixed in the future.

• "But my computer can’t run shaders/is lame and slow/has broken drivers!" Get a new video card, even a $20 lame-o ATI or nVidia video card can run Blockland very well these days. BUT - you can turn shaders off, and the game will run and look as good as it ever has.
Will there be any sort of public testing before the release to ensure that it will run fine before it goes live?

See OP. It will be off by default for a while while we test it. -- kompressor

I'm sure there are some other quotes from the original Shadows and Shaders topic floating around that support this, but these two quotes should be good enough.

Point is, we are running a test release. It's not perfect and it sure as hell isn't optimized as expected. So don't worry about you never being able to see shadows and shaders or run them. This is not the final release of Shadows and Shaders. The developers will continue to work on them for the time being until they work as promised.

So sit tight and wait it out. There's nothing to worry about.

That and the fact that this problem isn't the highest priority. He's going to fix the bugs in general that have to do with shadows and shaders before adding support for other things.

It won't work for me. Is it possible for my graphics card to be unable to support this?

Yes. That's a common problem with a lot of people.

It won't work for me. Is it possible for my graphics card to be unable to support this?
intel graphics cards cannot even render shadows.
Other graphics cards can render shadows, but depending on your computer it will either be fast or slow as forget.

intel graphics cards cannot even render shadows.
Other graphics cards can render shadows, but depending on your computer it will either be fast or slow as forget.
Don't forget that Macintosh computers usually don't have shadows working, even without intel cards.

Wait so V21 is out but it says something like "revishion 19**"

'v21' is only said because it's easier than saying the revision number over and over again, it's technically both v21 and whatever it's revision number is

Yes, we are currently in V21 according to the console.

'v21' is only said because it's easier than saying the revision number over and over again, it's technically both v21 and whatever it's revision number is
Revision numbers existed for a while now. They've only been made public recently. lol

They've only been made public recently. lol

getBuildNumber() has always been available.

I took a guess that it would never be called "v21" because neither Badspot nor Kompressor referred to the update that way, but I guess Badspot decided near release that it would be a good idea to call it that.

I myself am in favor of the update although it was a real disappointment. The game mods and the gameplay and new options are amazing, especially since you can change your server preface without restarting, but the HUGE thing is the thing that won't work:THE SHADERS! The shadows and shaders...well.....there are none, except the same ones they've been using since Blockland was but a boy. No matter what I do(yes, I've seen the shader options on the options menu), it's still the ugly damn shaders from V.409213917957842978909470069 63282 or whatever.