Author Topic: Is it possible to make sure an add-on is loaded regardless of gamemode?  (Read 3721 times)

I'll just leave this here for someone else to work on...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:39:41 AM by Greek2me »

I agree with them, now almost every gamemode says "custom" because nobody wants to play something without the few addons they need no matter what.

I agree with them, now almost every gamemode says "custom" because nobody wants to play something without the few addons they need no matter what.
by my calculations and ctrl+f and master2.blockland.us, 84.536% of all servers are running custom gamemodes.

that leaves 15.463% of servers running actual gamemodes.

it doesn't sound like the glorious gamemode system is being used.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:55:31 PM by Lugnut »

The GameMode system will be extremely useful for AxoServer because I do not want to copy and paste an Add-Ons folder with different content onto it.

The GameMode system will be extremely useful for AxoServer because I do not want to copy and paste an Add-Ons folder with different content onto it.
You will have to do that sice gamemodes do not include add-ons.
Only a list.

You will have to do that sice gamemodes do not include add-ons.
Only a list.
I know, I could include every add-on I have on the dedi folder and then make the enabled add-ons list.

The problems I'm trying to address here are that users are constantly having problems with conflicting add-ons and content creators are constantly getting false bug reports that are the result of add-on conflicts.  The gamemode system is an improvement for both parties. 
Can't the gamemode creator just have a list of add-ons that aren't allowed to run in the gamemode?

Can't the gamemode creator just have a list of add-ons that aren't allowed to run in the gamemode?
Unfortunately no, I believe Badspot opted for a "Forced" and a "Whitelist" rather than a "Blacklist".

Unfortunately no, I believe Badspot opted for a "Forced" and a "Whitelist" rather than a "Blacklist".
I know that. It was a suggestion.

Why not a force list and a blacklist.

Because by not forcing something then it isnt loaded anyways?

Because by not forcing something then it isnt loaded anyways?
What do you mean?

You have a list of add-ons that the gamemode requires and a list of add-ons that the gamemode doesn't work with, under no circumstances. Users can enable add-ons they want. It doesn't forget over modders and it stops users from trying "SUPER COOL JEEP MOD THAT BREAKS EVERYTHING" with Jeep Sumo. Sure, a whitelist makes it so you will never get conflicting errors because you only enable certain add-ons, but it's just way to restrictive for modders. Having a blacklist will allow the modder of the gamemode to add things to the list when they find conflicting errors (or when they know it won't work with it) and Badspot will only have to see around one topic caused by conflicting add-ons and not a stuffstorm like a before (assuming the conflicting add-ons would be reported to the modder afterwards). I assume the spam in the help section caused by conflicting add-ons was one of the driving forces for the new gamemode system.