Author Topic: 2012/08/23 - Blockland r1713  (Read 27734 times)

Badspot

• Administrator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units#Intel_HD_Graphics

I'm having a hard time reading that, but it looks better. Although it's up to Badspot if that makes sense. I don't know where VRAM is in there or if it is listed.

Integrated graphics usually have a shared memory architecture - they use the system ram.  According to Carmack, shared memory architecture could in theory be faster than the split memory model, but we have yet to see it in execution. 

It is difficult to compare using that chart.  Some people with intel HD3000 graphics have reported that shaders work just fine so I assume the 4000 will be better.  I suspect you will still be better off with a dedicated card because the chart lists memory bandwidth for even a mid range nvidia card is ~100 GB/s vs ~25GB/s for the hd4000. 

Also wtf I guess the HD graphics line is physically built into the cpu, further complicating the terminology. 

There is no Intel CPU issue.  All of my computers have Intel CPUs.  Intel CPUs are fine.  The problem is the woefully underpowered Intel GMA line of graphics chips.  The cpu and gpu are physically two different things.

Intel CPU = good
Intel GPU = stuff

Are we clear on this now? 
I'm not using an intel GPU, though.  I'm very confused as to why it won't work, at this point.  Someone else was using the same card as I was and had the same issue.  Why wouldn't an Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT be able to enable shaders?

According to Carmack, shared memory architecture could in theory be faster than the split memory model, but we have yet to see it in execution. 
That's probably because anyone with enough cash to get an abundance of system RAM can also afford a card with its own memory.

That's probably because anyone with enough cash to get an abundance of system RAM can also afford a card with its own memory.
RAM is a lot cheaper per performance unit than GPUs are

Badspot

• Administrator
I'm not using an intel GPU, though.  I'm very confused as to why it won't work, at this point.  Someone else was using the same card as I was and had the same issue.  Why wouldn't an Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT be able to enable shaders?

You are missing some extensions and your gpu is currently reported as "unknown_board".  Updating drivers may help.

RAM is a lot cheaper per performance unit than GPUs are
yeah, but who buys like 30 gigs of ram?

I have a Nvidia GeForce 650SE. I can run shaders fine, and could run shadows before, but now I cannot. I tried setting all my options differently and tinkered with day cycles to try and get them to work. No luck.

lolno
exactly. if someone can afford more ram than is needed they probably aren't going to buy an integrated chip.

I have a Nvidia GeForce 650SE. I can run shaders fine, and could run shadows before, but now I cannot. I tried setting all my options differently and tinkered with day cycles to try and get them to work. No luck.

Ya know what would be helpful?

A console log.

I have a GeForce 7900 GS with fully updated drivers and 9.0c directx support. The shaders/shadows wont show up, what do I need to do?

I have a GeForce 7900 GS with fully updated drivers and 9.0c directx support. The shaders/shadows wont show up, what do I need to do?

Blockland runs on OpenGL, not DirectX.  S&S requires at least OpenGL 3, which didn't show up in GeForce cards until the 8xxx cards.