Author Topic: Is Garry's Mod a game, or a mod?  (Read 1214 times)

It's a game, but still requires a source game to run.
Nope.
He finally gave it its own source engine.

It's pretty much the same deal as "Is RTB v1 a mod or a game".

its a game
i dont know where i saw this but i thought it said that gmod requires half life 2, but it doesnt because i have gmod and it works perfectly fine wthout hl2.

It's not a game and it's not a mod.

It's a game expansion / call it a DLC

Unlike CS:S or other games that are standalone, GMod still requires you to have 1 purchased source engine game.

I think at least, that was the policy when I got it. Not sure now, with TF2 being free.

Nope.
He finally gave it its own source engine.

All right then, it's a game.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:34:56 AM by LeetZero »

It's a mod you buy, the reason it's a mod is because you have to own another source game to buy it.

It's a mod you buy, the reason it's a mod is because you have to own another source game to buy it.

or you could ignore the other two people that already said that he gave it support so it DOESN'T need a source game to run

It's a purchaseable mod of the source engine.

or you could ignore the other two people that already said that he gave it support so it DOESN'T need a source game to run

No he didn't, Valve just flagged it as "a Source game". IIRC you can own only Garry's Mod and play other Source mods.

It's a purchaseable mod of the source engine.

Garry's Mod is not a purchaseable engine.

Sorry I missed that, when did that happen?

here's a better question, how is a mod not a game?

here's a better question, how is a mod not a game?
A mod is something for a game.

Like ADDONS. Do you thing like a brick pack is a whole game?

Addon=/=mod. The majority of works called "mods" are generally full games in themselves that only need a base to run off of.

Addon=/=mod. The majority of works called "mods" are generally full games in themselves that only need a base to run off of.

Mod = modification of a game.

...A modification is literally even changing the default controls... Technically it involves changing/adding models and stuff. Which is what an Add-On does too.

I guess technically it could be considered a stand-alone game, however, it's kinda like a mod because it pulls resources from other games and requires a base game in order to run. I think it's probably considered a game though.

Its a mod of Half life 2, but it's also a game.