ALC Blockland Records-1 (Sci-fi Blockland Movie)

Author Topic: ALC Blockland Records-1 (Sci-fi Blockland Movie)  (Read 2839 times)

Automated Logic Computers

• What is this?
    This is a pilot episode for the recording of a spaceship crew discovering something which I won't reveal just yet
  • Who voiced the characters?
    Aludane and Icygamma.
  • I like it I want to see more.
    Thank you, by liking the video on youtube I'll be able to see the outcome of my invested time.
  • This video sucks.
    Ok, please provide feedback on where I can improve.
  • Why is it so short?
    I wanted to see if people liked the concept. The first few scenes depicts the whole atmosphere very well.

The crew of a midsized ALC-Zalcor class research ship are exploring the outer edges of human civilisation when things become rather... unusual.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:54:22 AM by aludane »

That guy with the Black face, lol

Bravo!

I enjoy the mystery in this.

Nice job!

I enjoy the mystery in this.

Nice job!
this,
but there's something about it that's bothering me. Like the guy in the comments said, there's something wrong with the voicing. I don't know if it's what he said that was wrong, but something doesn't seem quite right. Also I think you should use more angles per scene. It seemed like you set the camera in one position and made it stay there the whole scene long, and then did that for every scene. Otherwise, it seems very good so far

I lost interest within a minute

It actually deserves more of my time but I feel like I could give some accurate constructive criticism from that bit alone though

Things to change:
- Static images of the ship are bad and boring
       ||Suggestions: Either make it look like a CCTV surveillance cam, or make the camera appear to stay still while the ship moves forward, or scrap all the shots and go for one whole view of the ship in motion
- Voice acting is too soft (relatively)
       ||Suggestions: Make it louder
- Static camera angles, and not a lot of them
       ||Suggestions: Get more angles, impart some motion
- Hard to tell who was talking
       ||Suggestions: Kill two birds with one stone, add camera angles where the person talking is facing the camera and in the foreground. Also, make sure you use the ingame talking animations

To be honest, this is pretty bad.

• Whatever his name's deep, sophisticated voice is really different than IcyGamma's, and you can hear that Icy recorded his voice with some headset microphone. The quality is different for each voice.
  • The names you picked for the characters are your Blockland usernames. Seriously?
  • The video effects pasted over Blockland footage looks really cheesy. Like the green glow thing over the bricks.
  • The sound effects are really loud and annoying. Especially that howling sound. You can make an alarm sound without deafening your audience.
  • The images of the ship in space offer no perspective as to how large the ship is, how fast it is moving, or anything. It looks pretty cheesy too, considering it goes from some weird Terminal screen to videos of Blockland. Maybe you should use the little print icon that has the terminal on it.
  • There's no personality to any of the characters. It just sounds like you guys are robots. You should try to express more emotion in your voice acting, or change your characters to robots.

Voice acting was really bad
The ship shots need more atmosphere.
It's sometimes confusing who is talking, use the talk animation.

Voice acting was really bad
The ship shots need more atmosphere.
It's sometimes confusing who is talking, use the talk animation.
100% right.

I think I should weigh in on this to balance things out.

Aludane and I were laughing about the voice acting on Skype before it was released, so its definitely not something worth defending. Since this was Aludane's first video project, doing the voicing was more or less about convenience and experimenting with vocals rather than quality.

However, I advised him to make a proper ending and finish it so it made sense. But if I understand correctly he decided to just release what he had done so he could move on. This is more like the beginning shot of a film than a full film, for sure.

For me the best part of this film is the atmosphere developed by the sound effects, and the build itself being high quality. When I saw it I felt there was good atmosphere, contrary to what Pablo says. I don't really agree with what he means about having "shots" with "more atmosphere"-- sounds like a bunch of buzzwords than a critique of the film. There was enough atmosphere.

I mostly agree with Seventh, however I don't accept his complaint about it being cheesy or the randomness of the terminal shot at the beginning being a bad move. I don't think he appreciates how the lack of information provided at the beginning was suppose to structure the story. Though certainly, the lack of ending really bones this idea up and it just goes back to Aludane not writing a total script.

Having watched it again I feel that the voice acting was probably made worse by awkward lines. The lines in the movie don't let the story progress with interest like they should, but instead blandly over-explain what is going on.

I think this video is a good example of good editing and good sound work. Its hard to create a polished video when you don't commit to the whole thing. The thing for Aludane to learn from this is that a film should be entirely finished, or not released at all. I supported him and I still believe he did well, but I was expecting there to be more, not just a clip.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:01:01 AM by Sheath »

To be honest, this is pretty bad.

• Whatever his name's deep, sophisticated voice is really different than IcyGamma's, and you can hear that Icy recorded his voice with some headset microphone. The quality is different for each voice.
  • The names you picked for the characters are your Blockland usernames. Seriously?
  • The video effects pasted over Blockland footage looks really cheesy. Like the green glow thing over the bricks.
  • The sound effects are really loud and annoying. Especially that howling sound. You can make an alarm sound without deafening your audience.
  • The images of the ship in space offer no perspective as to how large the ship is, how fast it is moving, or anything. It looks pretty cheesy too, considering it goes from some weird Terminal screen to videos of Blockland. Maybe you should use the little print icon that has the terminal on it.
  • There's no personality to any of the characters. It just sounds like you guys are robots. You should try to express more emotion in your voice acting, or change your characters to robots.
1. I agree
2. What's wrong with that exactly?
3. I disagree, the effects were well-made compared to a lot of what you can see on Youtube with Blockland.
4. I don't know what volume you had the video at but it seems fine for me and nobody else has mentioned it.
5. ok.
6. Voice acting in this did suck but I did what I could.

What, did you both ignore my post?

Treynolds sounds like he knows his stuff. Ask him to critique your work.

For me the best part of this film is the atmosphere developed by the sound effects, and the build itself being high quality. When I saw it I felt there was good atmosphere, contrary to what Pablo says. I don't really agree with what he means about having "shots" with "more atmosphere"-- sounds like a bunch of buzzwords than a critique of the film. There was enough atmosphere.
The pictures don't really explain anything about the ship. It's like if I was introducing you to my house and I just showed you the bathroom and my tool closet... plus all the lights were off.

I mostly agree with Seventh, however I don't accept his complaint about it being cheesy or the randomness of the terminal shot at the beginning being a bad move.
That's because you play Blockland and are used to how it looks.

If someone who has only seen Blockland but not played it visited your video, they would be really disappointed when it goes from the scene with the really polished terminal effect,  to plain unfiltered footage of the game. The whole idea of CCTV cameras sounds like a good idea.

I don't think he appreciates how the lack of information provided at the beginning was suppose to structure the story.
I think you have an idea of how the story is going to progress, so you can't really see how little characterization there was and how little the audience knows about the ship just from the shots you taped.

Treynolds saw the same thing too.

If someone who has only seen Blockland but not played it visited your video

I'll stop you there.

You have to know your audience. In this case its Blocklanders.

I think you have an idea of how the story is going to progress, so you can't really see how little characterization there was and how little the audience knows about the ship just from the shots you taped.

No, I didn't develop this film. The only involvement I have here is moving a player on screen for Aludane and doing some lines.

I don't know what was going to happen with the story, but it was obvious to me the start was meant to be vague because its part of the mystery. Had I wrote this, I would have slowly filled in details as the story progressed. In this case it just wasn't done.

I don't know if that was Aludane's intention but thats what I got from it.