Author Topic: For those with Comcast  (Read 2313 times)

As of August 18th, 2007, Comcast has begun limiting BitTorrent, Limewire, and other Peer-to-peer application upload speeds through Sandvine, which cannot be bypassed solely by encrypting the packets.[7]

To counter Comcast's sabotage, one can set their router, firewall software, or iptables (under Unix/Linux/BSD) to simply drop TCP packets carrying the "RST" (Connection Reset) flag, on whatever ports their BitTorrent client uses, or to tunnel their BitTorrent traffic through SSH.

Discuss.

Net neutrality is slowly becoming a thing of the past.
We may soon see the closest thing there is to a Geek Riot somewhere down the road.
And we may also see a surge in Linux users.  Just saying.  Small possibility.  :cookieMonster:

There is no may, you will only do.

It does seem likely that Net Neutrality may become a serious issue like slavery, politics and other grand-scale problems (of the past and present).

I'm not a big fan of limewire and other P2P software cos of its strong ties to warez (not gonna lie...i'm not innocent here) but restricting people seems pointless.

Its akin to those barriers (that go up and down) that you see in carparks. They aren't there to stop criminals or lawbreakers cos they can just ram right through just as apparently comcast users can. The barriers (the carpark and comcast) are there to keep law-abiding citizens within the law. These new measures won't stop the majority of P2P users since they typically are more dedicated to their cause and they use the majority of the bandwidth.

I don't see how linux is gonna solve this...you still need a service provider.

It keeps you from uploading, which is really a stick in the spokes of the BitTorrent system, this block actually has a greater effect; the WoW updater uses BitTorrent technology, as does Steam, so it hurts other people too. Besides, not all BitTorrent traffic consists of pirated software, music, or pr0nzlol.

Besides, not all BitTorrent traffic consists of pirated software, music, or pr0nzlol.

true. Problem is though, that the abusers of the system, the ones that likely caused such preventitive measures, are typically the ones of who download illegal stuff.

We can only hope that these measures don't hurt the honest consumer for we know that it certainly won't stop those that it is trying to stop.