Poll

Which are you?

Public-schooled
81 (74.3%)
Home-schooled
28 (25.7%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: Public-schooled or Home-schooled?  (Read 13523 times)

i'm also in really advanced math for my grade level and i love reading books

yay books

Public School
i'm the advancedbro

Being able to freely surf the internet or play m-rated games at a young age has nothing to do with home-schooling, that's just parenting.

The home-schooling experience depends on which school your parents are connected with (though I assume in some places they don't have to be connected to an organization, that's just from personal experience), and how your parents implement their parenting skills with it. Some organizations have strict policies for home-schooling, while others are more lenient. You might get a typical public-school class experience at home if your parent/teacher chooses to do so, or you might get a more relaxing experience.

My grade-school experience was structured and scheduled. We got up at the same time (most of the time, unless things happened), did our schoolwork until we finished everything, then we were free to do as we pleased. Wash, rinse, repeat.

After I got to the high-school period of home-schooling, I could do it when I wanted or how I wanted. As long as it was on paper, and done before the week ended. If you got sick there was no school, you either continue at the same pace or double-up. Considering you have an entire day to do the work, it's not a problem. A single day of took about 4 hours or less, so I could do a couple days of work and have more free time during the week if I wanted. Every year I finished anywhere from May to July. At this point, I was also responsible for "teaching myself".

I can't say I enjoyed it, but I assume my education was roughly the same as a typical public-schooled individual (maybe better, maybe worse). I learned very little in the science field (which is why I'm excited to do science in college), and in language (I've learned more from being on the internet for so many years). History was my favorite subject, mostly because it was easy. Math was math, I hated geometry.

On the social-side of things, this town has barely anything in it. There are a few parks and a mall, but no one really hangs out there. You have to go down to the beach or elsewhere to meet people. For me, my parents made me go to church, so that was my social experience. It was pointless because said churches didn't want socializing, they wanted you on your knees praying or singing. So, my social life has always been lacking but it doesn't bother me. It's quite possible to be involved with sports and whatnot if your town has such things, your parents generally have to go looking for them though.

In my opinion, the biggest con are the books. Every damn one of them is filled with bullstuff religion talk that has no relevance with the subjects.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:39:37 PM by Blastdown »

State-boarding-schooled.

Public being a school you pay for in England.

State being a council or government (also known as an academy if funded directly by the government). I do believe the terms are changing because academies are quite new.

And boarding meaning I lived/slept at school in living quarters. But I don't go to school anymore. I have good grades and have moved onto A-level education.

And getting a girlfriend while I was at my school was impossible due to the girl/boy ratio being insane.

I'm homeschooled because of chronic health problems

More events, a bigger social world
Cons: Less events to be involved in, much smaller social world.
This isn't entirely accurate, I'm homeschooled now, but went to public school for the first half of my life, and I have more friends and social stuff than I've ever had before. There are tons of events, clubs, and such for homeschooled people, it's just the anti-social, sheltered kid who don't get friends.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:38:18 PM by Sir Blocksalot »

This isn't entirely accurate, I'm homeschooled now, but went to public school for the first half of my life, and I have more friends and social stuff than I've ever had before. There are tons of events, clubs, and such for homeschooled people, it's just the anti-social, sheltered kid who don't get friends.

Why the hell did you press enter so much?

Public-schooled.
I'm pretty much the only person who can type with perfect grammar and spelling in the entire class. In fact, any class.
Not that anybody cares about grammar and spelling.

holy forget thats a lot of empty space
Wow, I just noticed that. Idk what happened.

Public-schooled
I guess I'm a coolbro, since I don't really talk that much.

No. Not everyone has good enough health to just go around to any clubs or events for homeschooling when they feel like it.

Home-schooled.

I hardly ever leave the house and I wake up around 8:00 - 8:30 AM.

Usually get my work done before Noon unless I get stuck or have a lot of it.

I guess I would be considered a Cool-bro home-schooler, except I don't play sports that often. Waking up at 10am like a boss.
Usually get my work done before 3-5pm unless I get stuck or have a lot of it.

Public school because you can stuff

I think you guys already know what schooling I do.