Author Topic: Computer help, chossing a new CPU maybe. (motherboard posted)  (Read 1591 times)

I've got the AMD Athlon II X2 240 with 2.8ghz.
What could I get for less than like 200 dollars that's better.
Also, is installing a new cpu much harder than say a graphics card?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 01:57:35 PM by DrenDran »

What motherboard do you have?

And no, CPU is much easier than GPU. With most motherboards it's as easy as placing the CPU down correctly and pulling a lever.

Says mine is 65W.
To find out more than that I'd have to open my computer up.
Will have to wait to tomarrow to do that.

Download this program: PC Wizard

Install and run it, once it's open, look for "Mainboard" on the screen that pops up - it should be the first entry in a list of your system's components.

CPU is harder imo, though I guess it depends on your cooler.
My old computer, the heatsink was massive and the way it attached made taking it on/off a pain

CPU is harder imo, though I guess it depends on your cooler.
My old computer, the heatsink was massive and made getting it off a pain

True. If you happen to have a cooler other than a stock cooler you may run into some trouble. Many coolers however are as simple as detaching plastic clasps.

But there's more to it like how much thermal paste to apply and whatever.
A GPU is just snap in place and plug your monitor in.

But there's more to it like how much thermal paste to apply and whatever.
A GPU is just snap in place and plug your monitor in.

You only need to apply the thermal paste yourself if you're using a non-stock cooler, you can buy most CPUs with the thermal paste applied*.

*mine came with the cooler and paste applied, anyway

You only need to apply the thermal paste yourself if you're using a non-stock cooler, you can buy most CPUs with the thermal paste applied*.

Fancy CPU's with their factory applied heatsyncs.
I haven't used one of those yet, whenever I'm building a pc it's always been a custom cooler.

What motherboard do you have?

And no, CPU is much easier than GPU. With most motherboards it's as easy as placing the CPU down correctly and pulling a lever.
I find replacing a GPU easier than CPU because you have to put on thermal paste which takes me nearly 3 minutes when it takes me around 30 to take out and put in a GPU. unless you user thermal stickers but I prefer paste.. I don't like paste that comes with some stuff.

Good morning.
Download this program: PC Wizard

Install and run it, once it's open, look for "Mainboard" on the screen that pops up - it should be the first entry in a list of your system's components.
Gigabye GA-MA770T-UD3P
So what's the best I can get for this? (under 200$ hopefully)

edit: added advanced motherboard info
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:27:11 PM by DrenDran »

GPU is way easier to install then a CPU, how do people think that the CPU is easier?