Author Topic: How to make PROPER roads in Blockland (tutorial)  (Read 16748 times)

I've literately have come to the end of my rope with this problem, I see too many times roads being built that drive me insane, and you'd think roads of all things.

1st  First, I want to start with a few examples of other sources using roads correctly.
Sim City games are great with this because the fact that Roads effect how traffic is played in the game, observe this picture, The main roads (the darker ones) are in Roads. The lighter gray are called Streets. Roads and Streets are different. The picture distorts the streets slightly but the light line in the middle is just "light" gray where cars don't drive. Sim City makes roads look realistic by adding dense driving spots where cars have driven on and worn the road down.
Roads have the divider in the middle, whereas Streets do not. Streets do not need, nor should even have Dividers unless in a very populated area (eg. Minneapolis)

Street

Now look at a few real life examples.
This is a street road, notice how there isn't any ugly line down the middle of it?

If you google Neighborhood road
(https://www.google.com/search?sugexp=chrome,mod%3D8&q=neighborhood+road&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=NjaoUOeGCKW_2QWFioHwBg&biw=1275&bih=683&sei=NzaoUJaYOOXS2QXwyoHIDA) you will find lots of references that show no lines in the middle. Or even better,
Neighborhood Streets
Take a look at this example of a street in Blockland.

If he were to use the divider it would be too cluttered for cars, and it would make the look of the road smaller.

Road
Roads are the most common roadway built in Blockland, and usually the most confused.
Again, look at a few real life examples of roads. Roads are usually used in Towns, Cities, and country roads. (By the way I'm not going to get into Gravel roads because those are obvious, you can't have a divider on a gravel road, it's rocks.)

Highway
Highways are important also, and they most definitely need dividers because the law requires.

With highways, the divider between the Right side of the road and the Left would usually be a stone divider or a wall divider, the picture there shows one. The lines are different lanes of the highway that cars drive, left lane usually being the fast lane.

Blockland
This part is my demonstration of streets, roads, and highways.

Ugly ass roads that I never use

Seriously, there is almost no use for these roads what so ever unless you wanted an authentic LEGO set, they should never be used.
They're ugly, you can't build on the road (unless updated, i don't even use them so i wouldn't know) they are way to small for almost any car, they just don't work.

Street

This is what I mostly use, because it's the easiest road to make, and it fits. It doesn't have a divider, and you have enough room to both drive a car and walk on the sides. Blockland doesn't have 100 car traffic on the roads so I don't think you have to worry about getting in the wrong side of the road. Also works for one way roads.

Road

This is a dashed line road. Mostly used for country roads (Roads that connect one town to another. eg. Iowa towns)
And if you want to be road law correct, dash lines mean it's a passing zone and you can pass a slower car infront of you. Be aware that these roads are slightly tricky to make when making turns.
Keep in mind that when building roads, you're usually making a 32x32 road, and the divider is in the middle. The thing is, people assume they can work with a 2x4f for the divider, but that's usually ugly looking and makes the divider too big. To counteract this use a 1x4f like I have, it will make one side of the road a stud wider, but it shouldn't be that big of a difference. If your OCD bothers you that much you can make a 31x32 road but that will screw even more things up.

This is a bold divider'd road. You don't often see these but it's there in case. This road is 48x32 (or 32 + 16 x 32)

This is a double lined divider, usually used in highways and roads that are hills. The law goes that these dividers mean no passing zone, so you can not pass the slower car infront of you. Mostly used on hills or turns. I didn't build it, but on hill roads, The side of the road going down (example you're going up hill, driving on the right side of the road (america)) then the line on your side of the road would be bold, while the line on the other side would be dash. This is so the car that's going down the road can pass, only because he can see the cars infront of him which is safer than trying to pass a car going up hill and not seeing the car on the other side of the road coming over the hill. Road Law 101 right here.

Resolution
Because of this information I'm hoping you will understand how to make roads more efficiently. I'm not bashing on everyone who uses roads wrong, although tisk tisk on your part, I'm just trying to give out the correct information so that your cities will look prettier, or you're roads will be better built.

Other Examples
Other people's good examples (If you want yours here post it in the thread)
You mean like this?

I've been working on this build for a while, it seems like it's a pretty good example of roads (it's also got a train station and tracks but you can ignore that)

This is the style I use for my roads
Which looks best (Top left = 1, Top right = 2, Bottom left = 3, Bottom right = 4)

This is a so-so road design.  It is a older design though, I'm sure if we went back and redid a few design plans on the roads it could be realistic.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 12:45:16 PM by Dillpickle »

a 4x sidewalk is barely usable, i find it better to build it with a bit of breathing room. also, always raise my sidewalks a little bit so it's easier to see where it ends.

10/10 would read again

a 4x sidewalk is barely usable, i find it better to build it with a bit of breathing room. also, always raise my sidewalks a little bit so it's easier to see where it ends.
this, a lot. You should provide some examples for larger baseplates like 48x48 and 64x64.

This makes me want to finally make proper road plates. Perhaps I will soon, but don't count on it just yet.

holy stuff is that sim city 2000?

You mean like this?

I've been working on this build for a while, it seems like it's a pretty good example of roads (it's also got a train station and tracks but you can ignore that)

holy stuff is that sim city 2000?
Sim City 4
Really nice game, has good machanics, and the roads are like a perfect example. They actually determine Traffic congestion and all.
You mean like this?

Continue this, I'd love to see it, or help out if any.

@ Treynolds416

Generator or by hand?

I've come back from the dead to pat Treynolds on the back.

alright, cya.

I'LL MAKE ROADS HOWEVER I WANT, THANKS :)

9:22 PM - Jetz: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=214152.0 Make some bricks with these designs.
9:23 PM - siba: Well, I was
9:23 PM - siba: but lost interest due to how complex the BLB would need to be
9:23 PM - siba: some.....out of range
9:24 PM - Jetz: Would it be that much more complex than the default road?
9:25 PM - siba: http://i49.tinypic.com/vq1c1l.png
9:25 PM - siba: see those angles?
9:25 PM - Jetz: Point taken

I'LL MAKE ROADS HOWEVER I WANT, THANKS :)
oh yeah you're the kid who got me mad enough to make this thread
thanks