My violent video games should be banned debate speech

Author Topic: My violent video games should be banned debate speech  (Read 7485 times)

Hook:
 In 2006, an 18 year old named Devin Moore was arrested for suspicion of car theft. When he was taken to the police station, he overpowered the officer he was with, took his gun and killed him. He then went on to kill two other people in the station and stole a police car. Moore had been playing Grand Theft Auto, a game in which you shoot police officers and steal cars.

Overview:
There have been a few cases of extreme violence because of video games. In the 1999 Columbine school shooting, both shooters played the violent shooter “Doom”. In more recent years, the perpetrator to a violent shooting in Germany said he enjoyed playing another shooter “Counter-Strike”. In the past month, a shooting in Russia was tied to another violent game called “Manhunt”.

Thesis and Organizer (include 4 reasons):
Violent video games should be banned for minors because they teach kids it’s fine to break the law, they leave areas in the brain to suffer from reduced activity, they change how aggressive children are and can negatively affect socially inept kids.

Argument 3/Lead (Partner 1):
 Violent video games should be banned for minors because they increase how aggressive children are.

Evidence:
In a study done by Polman et al. in 2008, some children were assigned to play violent video games, some others were assigned to watch. After playing the games, children that had played the games were more aggressive than the children who watched.

Evidence:
In a multitude of studies about violent video games being able to release anger, the violent video games triggered aggressive thoughts, emotions of anger, increased heart rates and increased aggressive behavior, much to the contrary of what was thought about violent video games. Violent video games can induce stressing and aggressive emotions even if people can tell the difference between someone dying in a video game and in reality.

brown townysis:
 Video games that portray violence and graphic killing are shown to rile up children. The children are immersed as the person killing enemies, which makes them feel emotions similar to the character, much different than simply watching a violent movie. People over the age of 18 tend to not have any negative reactions associated with playing video games, unlike the crowd young kids that typically play violent video games.

Argument 4/Lead (Partner 1):
 Violent video games should be banned for minors because socially inept kids can be very negatively affected emotionally, physically and mentally.

Evidence:
 A study in Singapore about violent video games on 3000 children concluded that kids addicted to video games were not very socially active. They had things like depression, anxiety, social phobias, and they had bad grades. When these kids stopped their addiction, everyone of those improved considerably.

Evidence:
 Another study by the American Academy of Pediatrics said that children who are socially awkward are more likely to develop longer term social problems, like depression, more anxiety and lesser amounts of judgement before speaking or acting if they play violent video games.

brown townysis:
 Social awkwardness is effectively doubled and more pronounced in children with problems that play violent video games. Because developing a strong, healthy social life at a young age is very important, these minors shouldn't be able to play violent video games. Their life will get sucked into it, and they won’t be able to effectively function as a human being.
So ya this is my speach
Kinda gay considering I play violent video games all the time but w/e.

This would be a horrible psychology paper from the looks of it.

Wow everyone seems to be studying persuasion in their English classes.

gay and stupid topic 0/10 you're supporting the wrong side little to no evidence

Parents should only let kids play violent video games if they have a stable mind, and if they know the game is truely NOT real life.

Apparently sports games provoke more violence than shooters, as it's easier for kids to assert their violence towards a familiar activity that they would be doing often and regularly like sports, as opposed to shooting someone.

Or something.

okay here's one of the key phrases in debate

C-W-I
Claim-Warrant-Impact

You have your claim, which is that video games cause children to do violent things. You have your warrant, which is the cases that show your claim is true.
But the impact is one of the most important parts. It's why the voter (audience, whatever) should care. Talk about the nation's future and about distorted generations to come. That's how you win a debate. Making the audience feel for you, even if you have a stuffty side to argue.

Cause: Person plays video games that are excessively violent frequently and becomes immersed in the gaming style of the player or the player's lifestyle choices
Effect: Man goes on with his life. 1/10th chance of being completely influenced.

Wii Tennis is brutal, man

Last year we broke into groups to debate about the Northern Gateway Pipeline. Except, we weren't allowed to pick a side. I nearly got put on the anti-Pipeline side and would have gone on a rampage if I was. I think all this environmentalist crap is a bunch of stuff, and rather than worrying about the environment we need to advance our sciences.

Anyways, I totally dominated and the lead of the opponent said, "Well done, Ryan... Well done..."

To which the teacher then decided to needed to debate against her, to which I blazed it up 420 and left the room with the words, "Money is good. Oil brings money. But we can't bring the oil without this pipeline."

>plays violent games
>kills 28 people
>blame the video games

Vs

>becomes president, is told about the atomic bomb
>lose more troops or drop dat bitch
>drops atomic bombs on two cities
>approx. 250,000~ killed
>it's okay because he's the president and it's to prevent troop casualties

Violent videogames will never be the cause for crime. While my two given examples are hard to compare, I'm just puttin it out there; Truman killed more people in one SECOND than our crazy gunman did in one day.

Overall a good report, I feel like you don't agree with the paper based upon some of the report's emotion?

isn't truman tha one crazy forgeter who killed his wife and her sister, and then caused a new law to be made?

isn't truman tha one crazy forgeter who killed his wife and her sister, and then caused a new law to be made?

Uh
No
What history book are YOU referencing?

i saw a movie and it said "based off a real story"