Author Topic: No ping with some servers with some people  (Read 746 times)

Ok, basically, I was trying to connect to Neurotoxin's server a minute or two ago. I can't join, the ping is at ---. But Neurotoxin has seven other people on his server, all of whom were able to connect just fine. Furthermore, I can connect to various other servers just fine. What is the cause of this, exactly, and can it be fixed?

Noedit: The ping is stuck at ???, not ---.

Did he... shut the server down? It gets stuck on the server list for awhile after it gets shut down.

Did he... shut the server down? It gets stuck on the server list for awhile after it gets shut down.
No, I was talking to him on RTB as this was happening. He had no clue why it wasn't working.

This is I believe quite a common problem, don't have a solution though, sorry

This is I believe quite a common problem, don't have a solution though, sorry
Goddamnit. Does anyone at least know why it happens?

The usual explanation I've seen is location.  Different connections can lead to better results for some people, but not for others.  It's like someone in DC connecting to a Florida server vs an LA player trying to connect to the Florida server, the DC player would have a better chance of getting into the server.

The usual explanation I've seen is location.  Different connections can lead to better results for some people, but not for others.  It's like someone in DC connecting to a Florida server vs an LA player trying to connect to the Florida server, the DC player would have a better chance of getting into the server.
Ah. I got it.

The odd thing though, is that I used to be able to connect to Neurotoxin's just fine, which makes me wonder if it's that packet size limit Badspot added while I wasn't playing. (That's probably a completely ridiculous guess, but I have nothing better).

I guess I'll try again when I'm at my mom's house. I've never tried to connect to his server from my dad's.

The host needs to port-forward. If he does that, nobody will have problems connecting.