[MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments

Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310750 times)

If you're still using VGA monitors you need to move forward.

If you're still using VGA monitors you need to move forward.

It's not that they're VGA monitors. (I think).

It's that they don't have enough DVI cables.

It's not that they're VGA monitors. (I think).

It's that they don't have enough DVI cables.

No, mine is a VGA monitor and I have a DVI card.

Yes, one of those.
They seem to be an outdated device, they just flat-out refuse to work properly with newer cards, I used one with my 6770 just fine and with my X1950 Pro before that with no problems, but my 7870 is just like "forget that stuff, what do you think this is? 2005?"
So what do I need to get? One of these?

Can anyone suggest me a good wireless gaming headset for $200.

Or is this a good set?

Razer Chimaera 5.1 Gaming Headset
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874153003

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-chimaera-51

Can anyone suggest me a good wireless gaming headset for $200.

Or is this a good set?

Razer Chimaera 5.1 Gaming Headset
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874153003

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-chimaera-51

No such thing as "Good Wireless Headset". It's either good or wireless. Pick one.

If you have that price range I'd go for the best there are - the Astro A40.

almost everyone uses vga, and it's probably going to stay that way for years to come.

almost everyone uses vga, and it's probably going to stay that way for years to come.

I disagree, VGA is being phased out in just about all modern televisions and computer monitors especially as lots of home theaters and computers are supporting DVI and HDMI digital signals over VGA (some supplying connectors to take DVI brown townogue signals and convert them to VGA instead). If they do support it, I've heard they usually use poverty boards to read the VGA signal because people just aren't using it as often.

DVI is more likely to take over in the next few years. HDMI is changing so often and I find it to be less common with computer users especially. We'll see.

youre handicapped

VGA is being put on modern projectors and laptops today and will probably be maintained far into the future for backwards compatibility.

At my work we use far more VGA cables than DVI, HDMI, and display port combined.

At my work we use far more VGA cables than DVI, HDMI, and display port combined.

Well obviously phasing out old standards isn't an overnight job.

Most businesses still cling onto Windows 98.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:37:11 AM by lcyGamma »

No such thing as "Good Wireless Headset". It's either good or wireless. Pick one.

If you have that price range I'd go for the best there are - the Astro A40.
Okay then. Suggest me a good one.

Okay then. Suggest me a good one.

A good headset? Astro A40. A good wireless headset? I'll correct myself, it does exist - but not for cheap.

Sennheiser RS 220 - $599
Astro A40 Wireless $299
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:54:44 AM by MackTheHunter »

Well obviously phasing out old standards isn't an overnight job.

Most businesses still cling onto Windows 98.

I don't know what experience you have in the industry but I can tell you nobody is running Windows 98 anymore, most businesses now are partway through migrations from XP to 7. It depends on the organization, smaller ones probably switch faster.

About half our systems are running XP and we are constantly replacing them with 7 as they come in for repairs. Las time I checked, we maintain about 1000 computers.

Even our new monitors come with VGA connectors. Most of our computers have workstation cards with DMS-59 connectors. One of these drives up to two monitors using a cable that splits into wither VGA or DVI.

VGA has no problem with HD video, you can run well over 1920x1080 on it. It's got some advantages too. Circuitry for it is pretty simple, although that's probably not so important anymore, you can probably handle any standard on a single chip now. But it's a standard on KVM switches, servers, industrial equipment, etc, and it's compatible with EGA, CGA, and text modes. It's used on everything  from camcorders to cellphones, game boys, TVs and medical equipment. It's not just a connector, it's a standard, and long after VGA connectors stop being used the standard will still be used, possibly forever.

Elecro hit it spot on.

EDIT: Maybe I can provide a little more insight. There is a type of ribbon cable called a flat flexible cable (FFC). It's pretty much just a piece of tape with conductors in it. It's used internally in laptops, cell phones, and hundreds of other electronics that need a small cable running into the screen. These are exclusively VGA, because there is really no advantage to using any other standard.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:16:58 AM by Wedge »