Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1324713 times)

I'm going to be Blender rendering animations and gaming on the same PC. Should I wait for the i7-49**K/X series and get a really high end GPU? My budget is about $2k-3k.

I'm going to be Blender rendering animations and gaming on the same PC. Should I wait for the i7-49**K/X series and get a really high end GPU? My budget is about $2k-3k.
Jesus, that's a lot of money you have to spend there.
There's no point in waiting for those, the current series is already overkill as it is.
Just get the 3930k.

EDIT: I got bored and tried making a computer with your budget. Holy stuff, why would anyone ever need something like this, ever?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q4ot
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:59:59 PM by AfterShock »

Which would you recommend?
im assuming that your budget is the same as the laptop that you got, so id recommend something in the edge series. im not entirely sure though.

Go cry to your mom.

Also I have 2 monitors with a 5.1 surround sound in my room

oh stuff i id give anything to be you

Ok so after installing some new windows 7 update my trackpad suddenly started working, but I'm getting problems with typing.
Whenever I'm typing there will be an occasional (by occasional I mean nearly 5 times this sentence) delay whenever I hit the key till when the character shows up on the screen that lasts around a second. My computer also seems to be running really slowly. It's weird because the framerate on the screen doesn't stop and I can only relate it to a hardware problem, but it only happened after the update. I'll type a sentence to show the other effects.
"My computer lylwoly and I can't do anything to stop it, it's very stranms that..."
Bolded is when the freeze happened.

Jesus, that's a lot of money you have to spend there.
There's no point in waiting for those, the current series is already overkill as it is.
Just get the 3930k.

EDIT: I got bored and tried making a computer with your budget. Holy stuff, why would anyone ever need something like this, ever?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q4ot
So that I can multitask with many resource intensive programs, unlike my current PC (*cough* Mac Mini *cough*)?

With my current PC, a Blender animation with only 25 frames and 30,000 realistic grass blades will take about 1 minute to render each frame, making my current computer under hard load for 25 minutes (which might overheat it).

However, an extreme core will probably do 150k blades of grass with 25 frames in (maybe) 5-10 minutes (with a high-end GPU if Blender uses OpenCL/OpenGL operations to render...?) I don't care about loudness because I am used to the loud fan noise of me using a Dimension XPS back in 2006-2008.

Current CPU: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2520M+%40+2.50GHz&id=809
The high-end enthusiast CPU: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3970X+%40+3.50GHz&id=1799

Call me crazy and money-burning but feel free to give me advice on this path.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:20:11 AM by Axolotl2 »

The budget allotted to me is $1000 and I have $512 in my wallet. I can hopefully pull something cool off after late 2013 which gives me the opportunity to have the $2k-to-$3k budget that I want to have.

I almost feel like I got a keylogger, I scanned and deleted some threats with avast and now it's not happening.

instead of spring cleaning i just do minor maintenance monday, where every other monday i clean fans and dust.

Spring cleaning, gentlemen!

Grab your vacuums, canned air, or in my case - an air compressor - and start blowing out the dust!

Also cable management advice is offered in the thread as usual!

my cable management kicks everyones cable managements ass
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:58:55 AM by Momentum »

Spring cleaning, gentlemen!

Grab your vacuums, canned air, or in my case - an air compressor - and start blowing out the dust!

Also cable management advice is offered in the thread as usual!
I tidied mine up a bit, might post a picture later

I used the vacuum cleaner. It is very clean, but the computer won't start for some reason :S

No seriously. NEVER use a vacuum cleaner to clean the inside of your computer. If you do so, you'll most likely end up frying your components with static electricity.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:34:03 AM by King Leo »