Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1309336 times)

I'm compiling a list of parts at the moment for a computer I may be building within the next several months. My dad's laptop he uses for work is going to die soon and he wants my laptop and he'll just buy me the parts for a new computer. I had TomTheGeek help me out a bit, but this is my first build and I need a bit of guidance on anything else I may want/need. My budget is ~$1700 USD.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TomTheGeek/saved/2hPR
Get a SSD, with that budget you could totally get one, and unless you plan on doing something that uses a ton of storage, you can probably downgrade to a 1TB, again, depends what you are doing with it.

Edit: A lot of games use a lot of VRAM nowadays so maybe a 4GB 760 would do you some good, ask some other people, i'm not totally sure.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:32:41 PM by Cut Glass »

Edit: A lot of games use a lot of VRAM nowadays so maybe a 4GB 760 would do you some good, ask some other people, i'm not totally sure.

2gb is and will be more than enough for quite some time as long as you stick to single monitor 1080p gaming. Also, the 760 isn't really powerful enough to effectively use 4gb, and in some cases will run worse. I heard it has to do with the bandwidth on the memory being 256 bit.

EDIT: I have that exact GTX 760 in the pcpartpicker list and I am very impressed with it. You can ask me any questions about it if you want.

windows 8 isnt as bad as ive heard :D

windows 8 isnt as bad as ive heard :D

The interface is for tablets, although overall it's better than Windows 7. Auto driver support = 100 points from me.

Also if you get annoyed by the whole tablet interface;
http://www.startisback.com/

im hardly using the star menu since i got all my used shortcuts pinned to the taskbar

2gb is and will be more than enough for quite some time as long as you stick to single monitor 1080p gaming. Also, the 760 isn't really powerful enough to effectively use 4gb, and in some cases will run worse. I heard it has to do with the bandwidth on the memory being 256 bit.

EDIT: I have that exact GTX 760 in the pcpartpicker list and I am very impressed with it. You can ask me any questions about it if you want.
Ah okay, now I know. Thanks.

And lastly, I don't believe that psu supports haswell cpus, and regardless you can do a lot better for $110
Lol? how can a psu made within the last 7 years not support haswell
the power input is the same, they all have the same connectors (20+4 pin)

Lol? how can a psu made within the last 7 years not support haswell
the power input is the same, they all have the same connectors (20+4 pin)
haswell processors include new sleep states, c6 and c7
Without a compliant psu these functions are useless and you've essentially wasted the extra $20 you spent on haswell over a parallel ivy bridge processor

haswell processors include new sleep states, c6 and c7
Without a compliant psu these functions are useless and you've essentially wasted the extra $20 you spent on haswell over a parallel ivy bridge processor
oh, i did not know that, im stupid
good thing my psu is compatible, cause i just ordered a 4770k :o

If I wanted to get rid of all my Windows files from my old HDD would I just delete the "Windows" file in the hard drive? Before I got my SSD I ran Windows on my HDD so I want to get rid of Windows from the old one.

http://www.ibuypower.com/2013/Labor-Day-Specials.aspx

iBUYPOWER is having this really big sale, computer prices are getting cut and lots of things are free/on sale.

So if you wanted a cheap custom you want to buy online...here you go.

Decided to overclock my superclocked gtx 780. It gets about 78 fps in Unigine Heaven 4.0 now with everything on ultra/extreme and does not go above 70 degrees Celsius.

Where would be the best place to sell an old vista computer from 2007 at for the best price? It still works and all but it's just slow and all.

Where would be the best place to sell an old vista computer from 2007 at for the best price? It still works and all but it's just slow and all.

eBay and put it up for a bid?
Craigslist?

Also, be sure to perform full virus scans, copy your data to another drive (if you need to for some reason), wipe the drive on the vista computer clean, and try increase the speed as much as you can. Possibly a clean OS install?

http://www.ibuypower.com/2013/Labor-Day-Specials.aspx

iBUYPOWER is having this really big sale, computer prices are getting cut and lots of things are free/on sale.

So if you wanted a cheap custom you want to buy online...here you go.
That site is bullstuff, can't find anywhere where they actually explain what "free upgrade" means