Gameplay Rape

Author Topic: Gameplay Rape  (Read 1801 times)

I sold my old computer the other day and am now waiting for my CPU to arrive in the mail. In the meantime, I've gotten "comfortable" with my old faithful white 2007 Intel MacBook.

I used to play Blockland on this during mid 2008 to Jan 2011, it coped alright but was pretty bad with brick counts over 15k during the later years.

Blockland has changed a lot since and I put Snow Leopard on the old laptop for fun. Now it runs BL like stuff.

I think using this old laptop will make me appreciate my new gaming computer build even more. It'll be far more powerful than any computer I've owned to date.

I'm used to using low-mid end PC laptops, and the odd Mac, so I've often had to "make-do" with low quality gaming. Finally I've had the financial ability to purchase my own gear, though I've certainly appreciated and enjoyed the few computers I was gifted throughout childhood and the teenage years up to this point.

I thought it might be nice to remind yourself of how decent your current computers are, perhaps remind yourself of gaming horror stories on stuffty hardware, or if you are using a cheap computer, ponder what you might end up with in the not-so-distant-future.

Never before has something been so beautiful yet so ugly

I didn't think it was possible to change out the CPU on any kind of Apple computer.

I didn't think it was possible to change out the CPU on any kind of Apple computer

It isn't to my knowledge.

Even the desktops are made in a way that you'd have to chisel the case off. I think all hardware is soldered into the "logic board" not sure though.

surely you could just get mark to buy you a dedicated gaming computer

I think there has been confusion, the computer I'm building is from scratch. The Mac I'm using is an old laptop I've kept as it has no resale value. Using it in the meantime.

Looks really, uhm, fun.

Looks really, uhm, fun.

Lolo

The only playable server I've been to so far its Badspots Dev, but even then the FPS is rocky-- smooth enough to win races.

Looking back at the specs of this laptop, I find it odd the graphics memory is 144MB. To my knowledge there have been very few cards with that awkward amount.

Though, as far as Intel GMA cards went, that one was pretty alright at the time.

Though, as far as Intel GMA cards went, that one was pretty alright at the time.
yep. you could play doom 3 w/ it and at the time that's all i cared about lol.

yep. you could play doom 3 w/ it and at the time that's all i cared about lol.

I managed to dual boot Windows, and using a -dxlevel startup command, forced Garrys Mod to run on it.  It was actually playable. :cookieMonster:  

Portal, Half Life 2 Ep 1 & 2, Sim City-- all those games were the titles I wanted to play, and they ran good enough on it as well (30-35 + FPS)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:07:25 AM by lcyGamma »

im jelly

your computer is tons better than mine, ohh man if only i could get more than 5fps in an online blockland server, i could only dream

im jelly

your computer is tons better than mine, ohh man if only i could get more than 5fps in an online blockland server, i could only dream

:o

What do you currently have? Do you know the specs?

well its an emachines tower built for windows vista that has windows 7 on it currently

a sticker says intel celeron dual-core inside

how the forget do you guys manage to build a computer, i never understood that.

well its an emachines tower built for windows vista that has windows 7 on it currently

They don't. They buy the parts then consult a manual closely.

Ah okay, an eMachines Internet-grade computer. Celeron processors are really lightweight, you probably have a really low-end GPU.

Computer assembly is just about having a vague understanding of how computers work and what individual parts do what, a thorough understanding of pricing, brands, terminology, and compatibility, and the confidence to try it out.

The hardest part in my opinion is having the knowledge to know what to look out for in hardware. If you can get someone to make you a list of what to buy for your needs, its just about plugging connectors in really.