Author Topic: Jetz's Climbing Challenge - Closed  (Read 9685 times)

This guy needs to be banned :I

He's popping up as people try to cross and blocking them. He also has jets for some reason.

EDIT: Oh dear, winners get jets D:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:57:22 PM by Reinforcements »

He's popping up as people try to cross and blocking them.
when you have jets, touching any player doing a challenge will kill you, so he can't be blocking anyone.

when you have jets, touching any player doing a challenge will kill you, so he can't be blocking anyone.

it should change you to an admin orb.

Implemented some beta timescale detection code. Lemme know if it goes Skynet on people. Unbanned a few people who got banned for timescale use. (But also cleared their stats)

This looks super fun and original, I will join sometime and play it :)

I love this server.  I played for 5 hours yesterday and got to level 4.  Then I got bored and started doing time trials.  Got Elite time for levels 0, 1 and 2. ^.^ 

The server can get pretty laggy when it gets around 18 players.  But other than that it's fine.

Jetz, I really hope you release this as a gamemode when you're done hosting it.

A couple of winners were blocking at level 1.  Pretty much just raping anyone who got past the first 4 bars.  Either they're hackers, or you're wrong.

Yes, but it stops them for a split second, removing their velocity. On the picture above, he would pop up on one of the pillars, leaving you stranded.

Jetz, I really hope you release this as a gamemode when you're done hosting it.
That's the plan.

Yes, but it stops them for a split second, removing their velocity. On the picture above, he would pop up on one of the pillars, leaving you stranded.
Is this becoming a major problem? My plan for this was to ramp up repeat offender's respawn times with each offense, but I haven't heard too much on the subject.

Jet Players do die on contact, but they still collide with the other players for a moment.
And in certain challenges, that collision means you lose all momentum, and can fall, mid-jump, or end up stranded in a part you can't continue from, as in Level 3.
And if you're finding a challenge difficult, or have gotten far into it, it's a proper nuisance if someone blocks you, and you die or have to restart from the beginning.

That's the plan.
Is this becoming a major problem? My plan for this was to ramp up repeat offender's respawn times with each offense, but I haven't heard too much on the subject.
When I was on the other day, while no admins were around, Porto in particular was blocking a large number of people, primarily on the stepping-stones section of Challenge No.3

I took a break at one point, and when I returned 2 hours later, he was still blocking people. Caused atleast one person to ragequit as they couldn't beat No 3 at all, due to their difficulty with the first part, and due to them then being blocked by Porto anytime they did happen to get past the vertical bars.

I haven't seen a lot of people do it, but Porto atleast did it a fair amount. It was perhaps mildly amusing the first time, but it soon became annoying. Ephialtes asked him to stop atleast once, if I recall, and others did too.

I hate Level 4.
Have spent 2 hours on it, failing to get past.
And only today did a friend give me the perfect trick to landing the first bar. But even then, I've not gotten past the first section entirely.

The server is a lot of fun however, and people so far have all been really nice and have had a good time, joking about and playing.
And a number of players, those who've gotten stuck at one point, and those who have completed the challenge, have been helping other players with tips and tricks for beating particular courses.

The server is well worth checking out for a bit, if you have the time or a slot is open.
And you'll probably find yourself staying for longer than you expected, when you keep trying to finish a challenge.

I hate Level 4.
Have spent 2 hours on it, failing to get past.
And only today did a friend give me the perfect trick to landing the first bar. But even then, I've not gotten past the first section entirely.
Yeah level 4 is impossible.

Yeah level 4 is impossible.
I've worked out the first bar, with the help of a friend.

If you cling to the bar on the ridge, then looking forward, and aim just above the tallest bar in the section in front of you.
Then Jump off, and look down at the closest bar.
Click when you are practically in the bar. It seemingly won't cling when you're even a litle bit in front of it.
It's surprisingly late that it works.

And then I can bypass the first insta-jump bar, but jumping onto it's pole.
And then I can get onto the next regular bar.
And then I can jump up to the next insta-jump bar, but that launches you straight at a second one, and I cannot get ahold of that, which is necessary to launch yourself further on.

I've gotten no further than this, as I have never grabbed the final bar, which is a launch-bar.
So I don't even know what else there is to level 4.

I've worked out the first bar, with the help of a friend.

If you cling to the bar on the ridge, then looking forward, and aim just above the tallest bar in the section in front of you.
Then Jump off, and look down at the closest bar.
Click when you are practically in the bar. It seemingly won't cling when you're even a litle bit in front of it.
It's surprisingly late that it works.

And then I can bypass the first insta-jump bar, but jumping onto it's pole.
And then I can get onto the next regular bar.
And then I can jump up to the next insta-jump bar, but that launches you straight at a second one, and I cannot get ahold of that, which is necessary to launch yourself further on.

I've gotten no further than this, as I have never grabbed the final bar, which is a launch-bar.
So I don't even know what else there is to level 4.
The launch bar brings you to a ledge, from there you have to hang your way under a ceiling and then climb up a long row of insta jump bars and then yo do a huge jump, hang to a wall, climb up and reach level 5.

At least, that's the theory.

The launch bar brings you to a ledge, from there you have to hang your way under a ceiling and then climb up a long row of insta jump bars and then yo do a huge jump, hang to a wall, climb up and reach level 5.

At least, that's the theory.

Yes, that's about it. The first part of level 4 is the hardest by far, the only other part I find tough is right after the ceiling run section where you have to do a ceiling to fling-bar transfer which can be infuriating to forget up. The ladder, though is easy, as is the long jump, if you know how to aim it and hit the wall right

Jet Players do die on contact, but they still collide with the other players for a moment.
And in certain challenges, that collision means you lose all momentum, and can fall, mid-jump, or end up stranded in a part you can't continue from, as in Level 3.
And if you're finding a challenge difficult, or have gotten far into it, it's a proper nuisance if someone blocks you, and you die or have to restart from the beginning.

When I was on the other day, while no admins were around, Porto in particular was blocking a large number of people, primarily on the stepping-stones section of Challenge No.3

I took a break at one point, and when I returned 2 hours later, he was still blocking people. Caused atleast one person to ragequit as they couldn't beat No 3 at all, due to their difficulty with the first part, and due to them then being blocked by Porto anytime they did happen to get past the vertical bars.

I haven't seen a lot of people do it, but Porto atleast did it a fair amount. It was perhaps mildly amusing the first time, but it soon became annoying. Ephialtes asked him to stop atleast once, if I recall, and others did too.
Wish there was more I could do to prevent this from happening. The one thing I don't want to do is restrict the freedom to fly around the map after winning any more than I have to. Irk89 originally let people fly around after winning his Ultimate Challenge server, but people would use this to fly their friends past levels, or would block people on some levels. He solved these by putting up more and more killzones all over the map that would kill you if you flew into them, until eventually the post-game flight mode had no meaning to it and he removed it completely. I solved the former of those issues with both the head-bounce and the look-don't-touch mechanic post-game, but I only know how to reprimand for the latter. I could try taking the collision velocity of the person who impacted the other player and reapplying it to them after killing the other player. That might fix the problem.
The server is a lot of fun however, and people so far have all been really nice and have had a good time, joking about and playing.
And a number of players, those who've gotten stuck at one point, and those who have completed the challenge, have been helping other players with tips and tricks for beating particular courses.

The server is well worth checking out for a bit, if you have the time or a slot is open.
And you'll probably find yourself staying for longer than you expected, when you keep trying to finish a challenge.
Kinda surprised at the community being primarily constructive, given the usual player's intent to forget stuff up. Maybe with no way to attack other people (barring a few richards blocking of course), that drive is turned towards defeating the game itself, and helping others beat the game becomes a part of that. I've wanted to create a game where players are strongly driven to cooperate for a while. This wasn't my attempt at it, so I'm really surprised it turned out this way.

Whatever the case, thanks for the feedback. I'll look into implementing some penalty towards people who block other players often, or, if it works, reapplying their collision velocity.

only other part I find tough is right after the ceiling run section where you have to do a ceiling to fling-bar transfer which can be infuriating to forget up. The ladder, though is easy, as is the long jump, if you know how to aim it and hit the wall right
Jump against the wall, then look up and click when your screen turns yellow