Uber budget Computer (No laptops!)

Author Topic: Uber budget Computer (No laptops!)  (Read 937 times)

So My sister needs a new PC. All she does is draw with her tablet, watches HD video from the web (both downloaded and stream), the occasional Sims 3, and photoshop elements (or whatever it is called)

Here are the main parts list.

Nvidia GT 610 1GB GDDR5 approx £28
Athlon II X3450 triple core  approx £50
Asus M5A97 approx £58
cheapskate case which should do the job just fine approx £16

We already have the following:

8x1 GB 1333mhz (were only going to use 4 obviously)
750w PSU
500 GB 2.5" drive SATA
mouse + keyboard

Yes we still need a monitor. If you can suggest a cheap monitor which is relatively large it would be nice.

And before you come out bashing me for using a GPU that is under 40 pounds and expect it to run adobe photoshop, I have done extensive research about the productivity of cards on Wikipedia. My sisters current geforce 102M can run Stalker shadow of Chernobyl with a core 2 duo on medium seconds with a good 28 FPS, together with programs like adobe elements 9. The 610, in theory, should be 3-5 times more powerful than the 102m.

Same thinking applies to the triple core CPU. I looked at benchmark CPU, and it's not too far behind CPU's like i3 i5 and bulldozer.
Well, it isn't, but it's more worth the price than the bulldozer. And my sister will never even need a CPU that powerful for any of her tasks.

Oh and total cost is about £150. All Items we got from Novatech.com
If you want to suggest a component then make sure it is in england (so unforunately no newegg or anything)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:09:08 AM by D3ATH LORD »

im dumb so i dont know much about this but watch out because eventually someone is gonna come in and bash something about this for no reason
but if she doesnt do higher end stuff then i'd believe you'd be fine

Just buy a laptop. It'd be more powerful than this, and much more useful.

Sell that tabled and buy a better pc

750w PSU
lel

Also, do people realize a computer Megathread exists? This is what that's there for.

Just buy a laptop. It'd be more powerful than this, and much more useful.
yeah, I have a laptop, and it sucks, but it's really damn convenient
Also, do people realize a computer Megathread exists? This is what that's there for.
well that's just too bad
they don't have some monopoly on computer threads

and it's not like people actually pay attention to all the posts

My sister wants desktop.

And all I want to know, is that whether it will do well enough in the tasks that I mentioned in OP

That card
Is a piece of junk
I don't care for your research it's junk.

My sister wants desktop.
so? talk to her, and tell her how much better a laptop could be

That card
Is a piece of junk
I don't care for your research it's junk.
How about some help or suggestions instead of just saying "its junk"

Is this actually that bad? It's not like my sister does anything more than video + sims + photoshop, so why invest in anything more powerful?

It's not like my sister does anything more than video + sims + photoshop, so why invest in anything more powerful?
She might want to do different stuff in the future
By "video", do you mean video editing?
That's going to be fairly slow and lame with that card.

She might want to do different stuff in the future
By "video", do you mean video editing?
That's going to be fairly slow and lame with that card.

All she does is draw with her tablet, watches HD video from the web (both downloaded and stream), the occasional Sims 3, and photoshop elements (or whatever it is called)

I wouldn't even try starting any video editor with this card. Honestly, I'm not that uninformed about computers.

This seems like just scraping by if you want good performance on those tasks, but it should do it.