Author Topic: So I just got home from being an officer at model UN.  (Read 1031 times)

My school's part of this huge state-wide model UN conference for Ohio, and I was an officer for this time around for the jr. high session. Officers are elected out of the 8th grade candidates at the previous year's confrence, and you get to come back as a freshman to be one of them. I wasn't much, just presiding over ~50 6th, 7th, and 8th graders as a council president. The officers run the entire show though, with over 1000 kids, the small adult staff of 6 or so just get everyone together.

The thing that amazes me the most about this conference is just the bonding between officers. If you're lucky you get to see them for at the most a few days every march over 3 years, then after you're all elected you're put in a room for the first meeting and you're like best friends. There were a few officers from my school last year and they just started bawling when it was time to leave, and no one understood why. We just figured they were over reacting about people they see 4 days a year. Now that I've been in their shoes I completely understand (i didn't start bawling though lol). These people you meet just seem to forge lasting friendships in just a few short hours.

discuss being councelors/officers ect.

That's really cool.

Reminds me of the Youth and Government things that some of my friends do. They form such crazy emotional bonds. It's really cool. I'm considering joining, but there are a lot of annoying as forget people in it.
You usually meet the coolest people at events for smart people. I'm in speech and debate, and there are the chillest people at competitions. And usually the best dating pools as well.

I found it funny, because my friends we're trying to troll with the events hashtag without even being there. They said i was going out with the girl that was elected as president of the general assembly and everyone thought it was a joke.

Also there was a resolution on the Zombie Apocalypse that had all its facts based off of the Zombie Survival Guide book. IT made it to ga and everyone was against it lol.

I wish I could do model un

We went to Chicago this year for MUN.