Need advice on a PC build

Author Topic: Need advice on a PC build  (Read 1042 times)

Don't. Wait till the GTX Titan comes out and then build one.

Don't. Wait till the GTX Titan comes out and then build one.
I sincerely hope you are joking

If he won't be doing gaming, that motherboards integrated graphics will run everything fine, unless you have the dedicated card as a spare.

The 965 is by far the best budget CPU on the market, The case is probably overkill, but oh well.

Keep in mind your motherboard supports high clock RAM, so I'd suggest getting at least >1800 clock RAM.

The PSU is overkill, but if you have the money, and may ever need to upgrade, keep that.

The HD is what worries me most as I hope you realize it is tiny in relativity to today's normal hard drive size, and make sure it isn't a re-used 4 year old 5200 RPM hard drive either.
Thanks for all of this information. I'll ask my dad if he plans on upgrading, and about the GPU...
he wants it to be more powerful than mine... I said yes but on one condition and that is that I get a Radeon 7870 with his parts and I switch my current GPU (6850) for the 7870.

Thanks for all of this information. I'll ask my dad if he plans on upgrading, and about the GPU...
No problem, and ah, I missed that part

No problem, and ah, I missed that part
And also I should probably mention about the HD that he barely uses the computer. The only reason that he wants a new one is because the one he uses now is extremely slow. I honestly have no idea why he wants to build one, though. The only reason I'm taking the time to get a parts list rather than a prebuilt is because I want a 7870.

And also having a good "spare" gaming computer will be nice when I have friends over and we want to play modern computer games.

And also I should probably mention about the HD that he barely uses the computer. The only reason that he wants a new one is because the one he uses now is extremely slow. I honestly have no idea why he wants to build one, though. The only reason I'm taking the time to get a parts list rather than a prebuilt is because I want a 7870.

And also having a good "spare" gaming computer will be nice when I have friends over and we want to play modern computer games.
If the hard drive is re-used it will probably be a 5200 RPM which will run extremely slow

If the hard drive is re-used it will probably be a 5200 RPM which will run extremely slow
It's not. It's a new 7200 RPM one.

If you can help yourself then why on earth would you settle for an amd/amd build?
thats for poor people who can just settle to get by.

It's not. It's a new 7200 RPM one.
windows genuine advantage.

it will brown townly forget you over when you switch that HDD to another motherboard.

If you can help yourself then why on earth would you settle for an amd/amd build?
thats for poor people who can just settle to get by.
I don't know, I just prefer AMD over Nvidia. I was thinking about throwing a GTX 6x in there, but I decided not to because, well mainly because I already have a 6850 so I don't want to install a bunch of new drivers.

windows genuine advantage.

it will brown townly forget you over when you switch that HDD to another motherboard.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.

Your motherboard is not compatible with that CPU.  The 965 has an AM3+ socket and the MB has FM2.

-snip-
That motherboard is a INTEL board and he is using and AMD CPU, what made you think that would work for him.

I would recommend this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873

Your motherboard is not compatible with that CPU.  The 965 has an AM3+ socket and the MB has FM2.
Wtf, I swear it said AM3 when I picked it... Thanks for letting me know about that.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good power supply? Apparently the one I picked out is overkill because my dad doesn't plan on upgrading.