Author Topic: "who are you???"  (Read 4443 times)

Okay not the best example, but there are situations where someone's "known-ness" directly correlates with their weight in an argument.
like what

Okay not the best example, but there are situations where someone's "known-ness" directly correlates with their weight in an argument.
please give an example, I can't imagine anything like this being logical

its not about identity lol

the question is an insult similar to calling someone a noob.

its not about identity lol
the question is an insult similar to calling someone a noob.
that's weak

"who who,
  who who"
-The Who

I've always interpreted it as them telling a lesser-known user to back off before he gets in over his head or something.

Maybe they get accustomed to being criticized or insulted by users they consider their approximate equals or superiors, and if they are insulted by an apparently inexperienced, unrelated or unpopular user, they wonder why the outsider is getting into the issue. They think of themselves as being higher than the criticisms of apparent novices, and focus on that confusion, using it as an equally asinine defense.

This is only a bad justification for the way I might have used it, I don't agree with the idea.

Not always. Sometimes people will make a legitimate point about a server (or add-on or whatever) and be shot down 'cause the speaker apparently doesn't know them.

You have a point, though.

was there something i missed that you pointed out??? i just though it was funny >_>.

Yeah, it seemed like you were implying that the only reason people ever ask "Who are you?" is to retort an insult. If my inference was incorrect, sorry.

lol its funny because this topic is a rant about using a certain type of ad hominem in response to ad hominem itself
oh we got a pseudo intellectual over here folks!

oh we got a pseudo intellectual over here folks!
excuse me? who are you?

was there something i missed that you pointed out??? i just though it was funny >_>.
I thought that you were trying to point out the irony in his comment by saying that the thread was hypocritical, and I was just saying that the problem isn't that it's Ad hominem but that it's annoying.

uhm, who are you?

i've been on this forum way longer than you, you shouldn't be telling me, let alone anyone what to do.

I think it makes a point.

If you are in an argument and some random nobody rears his head and tries to call you out on something, it's a likely thing to say. Though, I don't say it because having someone say that to me would piss me off, which really starts the argument then.