Author Topic: Good free VM?  (Read 948 times)

Any decent/good free VM's out there?

Sometimes this depends on the OS you're looking to emulate.

Sometimes this depends on the OS you're looking to emulate.

Windows,

although I have heard of
VirtualBox
before.

VirtualBox is what you want. Microsoft Virtual PC works okay for Windows-on-Windows, but sucks for everything else. Everything else is either hard to setup, requires dedicated hardware, and/or is very expensive.

Windows,
windows what?

as an example, windows 98 would not work extremely well on virtualbox unless you knew what you were doing, but windows 8 would work fine.

windows what?

as an example, windows 98 would not work extremely well on virtualbox unless you knew what you were doing, but windows 8 would work fine.
Actually, the opposite applies. In my experience, Windows 8 emulates horribly with VirtualBox (especially with hardware-accelerated graphics), but I would expect 98 to work mostly fine (although I haven't tried it lately). However, as I said before, VirtalPC or Hyper-V might be a better option for Windows-on-Windows.

Actually, the opposite applies. In my experience, Windows 8 emulates horribly with VirtualBox (especially with hardware-accelerated graphics), but I would expect 98 to work mostly fine (although I haven't tried it lately). However, as I said before, VirtalPC or Hyper-V might be a better option for Windows-on-Windows.
Yeah, Windows 8 wasn't a wonderful example of a well-functioning one.

Virtualbox isn't made to support 98, and you have to install several special drivers and whatnot for it to work well.

Same with VMWare.