Religion Poll (Please take a second to take!)

Poll

What is your beliefs?

Christian
86 (31.6%)
Atheist
95 (34.9%)
Agnostic
43 (15.8%)
Buddhist
1 (0.4%)
Hindu
0 (0%)
Humanist
3 (1.1%)
Judiasm
2 (0.7%)
Islam
3 (1.1%)
Other (Explain perhaps?)
27 (9.9%)
Satanist
12 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 272

Author Topic: Religion Poll (Please take a second to take!)  (Read 11602 times)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slKULc8W7lM

Back then Religion was like the science of it's day to explain anything. The barbarians and tribals shunned them wanted to stick to the old ways, but were crushed. Now Religion is looked at as some sort of ancient fairy tail and it's all about science. What will happen in the future? Will science share the same fate as Religion?
Religion was never 'like' science. Science is a method of learning things about the natural world. Religion is an organized belief system. This is like comparing apples to oranges.

It's just a comparison of the aspect of how religion was used to explain the unexplainable like how science does. The key word from that last post is like, not is. Now if you excuse me I'm off to make the Apple-Orange.

I have Christian beliefs, and I'm gonna post here my thoughts on homoloveuality, I'm not here to argue about everything I believe in and why.

First off, I will say I believe homoloveuality is wrong. I don't think it was intended by God, nor do I believe it is natural. But that is besides my point. I want to talk about how Christians should treat them and kind of address how we have been treating the recently hot topic.
One of the core values of Christianity should be loving our neighbors. And ultimately as a Christian I believe we need to be loving towards homoloveuals. I don't think it is our right to say who can marry who, as that just drives everyone further from the love of Jesus Christ. If us saying that same love marriage should be illegal is just further dividing us and pushing us further from homoloveuals, then we are not answering our calling to reach out to the people of the world.

Does anyone else here genuinely not care about why we are here or the creation of the universe or any of that?

I will say one thing and that is that religious and non religious shouldn't (they do and forever will) be able to judge each other, I mean how can you judge someone with your ideals when theirs are different?
It's like an Olympic weight lifter openly calling anyone who can't bench as much as them friends because they don't train the way he does, it just doesn't make sense.

It's just a comparison of the aspect of how religion was used to explain the unexplainable like how science does. The key word from that last post is like, not is.
They aren't alike either. Religions are almost always belief systems with moral agencies surrounded by explanations that support it. Science is merely a method used to learn things about how the natural world works.

This is like comparing a wrench to a novel about fixing cars.

Does anyone else here genuinely not care about why we are here or the creation of the universe or any of that?

I will say one thing and that is that religious and non religious shouldn't (they do and forever will) be able to judge each other, I mean how can you judge someone with your ideals when theirs are different?
It's like an Olympic weight lifter openly calling anyone who can't bench as much as them friends because they don't train the way he does, it just doesn't make sense.
Have you never wondered?

I agree in a sense to your statement though, but the thing that always stumps me, is as to why some get so angry when the topic is brought up. If I believe that those who don't believe are going to be eternally punished, how can I not at least talk about it? I'd almost think its more offensive if I didn't...

why would you think we'd be offended by you not saying that since we don't believe in god that means we must BURN IN ETERNAL FIRES AND BE TORMENTED FOR ALL ETERNITY

why would you think we'd be offended by you not saying that since we don't believe in god that means we must BURN IN ETERNAL FIRES AND BE TORMENTED FOR ALL ETERNITY
If you had good reason to think that someone was going to get terribly hurt in a car accident the next day, would you try to tell them to avoid driving the next day?

If you had good reason to think that someone was going to get terribly hurt in a car accident the next day, would you try to tell them to avoid driving the next day?

warning someone that believing in a man in the sky will make them not burn for all eternity is not the same as telling someone to avoid driving tomorrow. most atheists already know whatever belief you have and won't be fazed by you telling them they'll go to hell

warning someone that believing in a man in the sky will make them not burn for all eternity is not the same as telling someone to avoid driving tommorow
Certainly not. But if I genuinely believe that is a consequence, and I don't at least try in whatever ways to spread the good news, then how can I call myself a follower of Jesus Christ?

For me not to attempt to bring the gospel to people, would be like me making the decision for them.

So I work at a retail store that's not on commission, but we offer an insurance / protection plan on our products. At first I always felt uncomfortable offering it up, because I didn't want to  feel like a car salesman. But as I worked past that I realized that if I didn't bring it up, they didn't get the option at all to buy it for that device when they may have needed it. Now maybe they would purchase it on their next device, but they could've lost a great deal of money from the first device. This is in a way a bit similar. But I believe the magnitude of the decision is a lot greater than deciding if you want to buy a warranty...

I hope that brown townogy makes sense, it did to me :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:39:40 AM by lilboarder32 »

Nobody really has any idea where the forget everything came from and how it came to be.  But I think I'll trust the guys in the lab coats who don't make me get up at 7 in the morning once a week to go and apologize for being human.

For me not to attempt to bring the gospel to people, would be like me making the decision for them.
You are not the single deciding figure of their beliefs though, the person in question will almost always already know that you believe that and so do millions of other people, they can and do get that information anywhere. Whether or not you tell people about what you believe about them will have absolutely 0 impact on their beliefs whatsoever.

It's as if, say, there was a famous murder case in which you were a suspected murderer, this murder case has been all over the news and internet for years and basically everybody knows about it. So lets say most of the population think you are innocent, and the rest think you are guilty and will go to jail, whether or not you are actually innocent if somebody comes up to you and says "you did kill someone you are going to jail" that wouldn't really mean anything or be any news to you.
Have you never wondered?
Not really, no.

You are not the single deciding figure of their beliefs though, the person in question will almost always already know that you believe that and so do millions of other people, they can and do get that information anywhere. Whether or not you tell people about what you believe about them will have absolutely 0 impact on their beliefs whatsoever.

It's as if, say, there was a famous murder case in which you were a suspected murderer, this murder case has been all over the news and internet for years and basically everybody knows about it. So lets say most of the population think you are innocent, and the rest think you are guilty and will go to jail, whether or not you are actually innocent if somebody comes up to you and says "you did kill someone you are going to jail" that wouldn't really mean anything or be any news to you.Not really, no.
I think in certain cases this can be true. But I believe many people deep down want to know what others believe, and are willing to be open to what they have to say, even if they have previously come to a conclusion on something.
Otherwise religions in general wouldn't grow at all. Many people are confused and don't know what to believe.

Not wondering about the creation of the universe is denial of curiosity, and lack of curiosity in my opinion is refusal to learn. The religious-nonreligious debate is irrelevant, every person should be driven to look for how we came to be.