Poll

Have your say! If the server is a 24/7 server, should the day night cycle be over 24 hours? (12 hours day/12 hours night)

Yes
42 (61.8%)
No
26 (38.2%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Backup Plan Development Thread || More Zombies, But Different  (Read 17371 times)

It's been a while since I've really built something, and my style of work is to work on projects (in case you haven't noticed.) Backup Plan is something I've been sitting on, and planning for a while, and while it's zombie survival themed, it is extremely different from all my other projects. Why is this? It's main mechanic won't be roleplaying. Instead, with this project, I'll be taking ideas from every other project, and putting it into one. While there won't be a very big roleplaying mechanic, there will still be a story. In fact, Backup Plan is a singleplayer campaign gamemode.

I'm planning for it to take a lot of inspiration from my other projects, and this might quite possibly be the last thing I work on. For those wondering what this will actually be, read on...

What is this?
Is it a multiplayer server?
A singleplayer campaign?
A roleplay?

Well, the answer is pretty simple:
All of the above.

For those of you who are familiar with the recent Bluzone server, you'll recall the key quest. This sent players across the map, searching for keys to unlock weapons and items while along the way unveiling a dark underlying sub-story, and the history of the shady underground labs and Mutalid lore. This was a really awesome idea, and one that I probably should have developed it more. In fact, it was back then I considered a project like this. At this current point in time, I'm not sure what the story will be; I only know how to pan out the campaign.

But, how could this incorporate a multiplayer experience?

This will be set in an open world, similar to the Bluzone. Players can do whatever they really feel like doing, and atop this, there will be a money system. How will this work? Well, you can complete quests and missions, you can hunt monsters or you can explore, finding secrets and stashes. What purpose does money serve? Nothing too important, but nonetheless, something helpful. With money, you can buy exclusive equipment and items, you can buy hints and 'rumors', and things to make your experience fleshed out and more enjoyable. Will you drop money on death? No. I do not want to create a very big incentive for player deathmatching. You can, however, still drop your items on death; so looting might very well be a possibility. You can co-operate with other players, hunt other players or just play the game very socially.

What about roleplaying?

There's nothing stopping you from roleplaying. Backup Plan will not use RPChat or set name. Instead, there will be a very simplified version of it. Standard Chat, is global talk. Team chat, is local talk. I also plan to incorporate this radio mod to spice things up. You can roleplay if you want, I'm not going to stop you, but if you choose to you need to understand that there will be other players who will not want to roleplay, and are just there for the gameplay.

To sum it up,

This will be a non-linear singleplayer campaign that will also be optimized for multiplayer.
It is, pretty much, an RPG.
There will be a money/shop system.
There will be secrets to explore and monsters to fight.
And room for a bit of roleplaying.

Zombies

What's a zombie server without zombies? Thanks to the new bot system, the infected are not only smarter and cooler, they are different types of them! Among the standard shambles of rotting flesh, you may come across something a little different, something that might require a different approach...

SOLDIER:

40% chance of dropping Pistol
Moderate moving speed (0.7)
Often found in groups

COMMANDO:

25% chance of dropping Ammo
10% chance of dropping Assault Rifle
Armed with Assault Rifle
Moderate moving speed (0.7)
Often found with Soldiers

SCIENTIST:

Exclusive to Labs
10% chance of dropping Pills

LAB GUARD:

Exclusive to Labs
5% chance of dropping Blue Key
Slow moving speed (0.5)
Armed with Handcannon

CRAWLER:

Found in vents
Fast Movement Speed
Does extra damage (20)
Slightly Smaller (0.8)
Six-Minute respawn

RADIOACTIVE ZOMBIE:

Explodes on death
Slow moving speed (0.5)

Planned Features

Item Saving
There will be camps/bases where players can save their inventory.
So, should you go out and get killed you can still recover your items should they be saved.
But, this also means if you get killed with an item before you could save it, you'll have to go get it again.
This is different from past projects where contributors, contests winners and admins could only have item lockers.

Storyline and Open Gameplay
Ever played an Elder Scrolls game before? Or STALKER? Or Far Cry 3?
This is the sort of feel I'm going for, while not quite as big and in-depth, it'll still have everything there.
There'll be lore for those who like reading into things, monsters to hunt and shoot, and missions that have multiple approaches be it run in and shoot things or stealth about your enemies.
The storyline will be completely optional, as well as being able to co-operate with other players.

Safezones
To help control player killing, there will be safezones where you will not be able to equip items (or at least deal/receive damage).
This is to make the gameplay feel more balanced, and so if you decide to go AFK you don't get hunted down and killed for your items.

more to come...

Teasers

Currently, I am not looking to collaborate.
If you wish you ask question, please do! I'll be happy to answer them.
For now, however, I'll be using this thread as a record of production and to help me stay organised.
MEOW!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:34:11 AM by Kniaz »

If you have any suggestions or requests, feel free to say so!

I'm open to new ideas!

Got an idea from back in the Bluzone,
Or want something specifically carried over?
Let's talk about it!

I will also happily answer any questions you have,
and with your questions,
I will put together a FAQ :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:45:42 AM by Kniaz »

:O I really hope that you can scrape together at least somewhat of a good administration, plus be up a little more recent. (Is that the word?) In other words, this looks loving awesome and I plan to be on this server as much as possible.

Administration is going to be extremely relaxed as opposed to other projects. This could easily be run by a single admin, whereas a hardcore roleplay needed a constantly active team.

And with the singleplayer, well, if you don't like the players or the admin, just start up your own private server and bash out the campaign a few times.

I knew something was cooking
This seems like it will be cool!

Should also mention that there will be camps/bases where players can save their inventory.
So, should you go out and get killed you can still recover your items should they be saved.
But, this also means if you get killed with an item before you could save it, you'll have to go get it again.

This is different from past projects where contributors, contests winners and admins could only have item lockers.

Can I help? I'm going to like this better than Bluzone because of it being so much more flexible to gameplay style. (Along with this actually has gameplay)  Also, when was there a key quest in Bluzone? I never heard of a mutilad lore or secret test experiments.

Currently, I'm not seeking to collaborate; it's far too early along production.

There was a key quest, if you recall the underground labs had locked doors, and some towers around the world were coloured and locked.
There were bits laying around that sort of explained an underlying story.

At the moment though, if you want to help, I'd happily take suggestions :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:28:17 AM by Kniaz »

I'll visit this in the future, if you do need any help with the build give me a ring.

I'll visit this in the future, if you do need any help with the build give me a ring.

I'll keep you in mind, thanks for the support :)

Same goes out to Mounds Bar

I plan on visiting this in the future.

On another note:
I could help out with building and/or event-ing some things on the server. (:

(Just don't expect 100% skill in eventing. :P)

Also, as per usual there will be little references to older projects ;)

I could help with eventing some things on the server.

(Just don't expect 100% skill in eventing.)