Author Topic: The Great Gatsby (2013)  (Read 1990 times)

WARNING spoilers.
Proceed with caution unless you've read the book/seen the movie.

I just got back from seeing the Great Gatsby movie.

Honestly, I feel like it was really great in some unique ways, and yet it was slightly dumbed down from the novel.  The soundtrack, like the movie overall, was great and yet sometimes not fitting.  I was really open to the whole Jay-Z thing, just because why the forget not, but then flux pavilion and it's like... why.  Then they kept repeating the rhythm/main verse of that Lana Del Rey song and it gets annoying a bit.  My only main gripes with the novel include ((the fact that Daisy/Tom's child was only mentioned and didn't appear until the end and for only a brief moment (which is weird because the child's appearance is supposed to hit Gatsby mentally), and there were too many points in the movie where it had fade ins/outs of Tobey Maguire/Nick Carraway typing out the story on a typewriter to his psychologist (but I guess you don't have much else to fill in the gaps as with the novel...).  The movie also seemed too CGI at times.  Also Myrtle's breast isn't exposed and flapping but I'm only complaining cause my teacher kept bringing up that detail ("flapping") at least 200 times when we read it.)).

I don't imagine many others have seen it right now at 2:30 in the morning unless you saw it at midnight but feel free to discuss, please try to keep plot details in transparent text.

Was it better than all the previous movies made on it?

Was it better than all the previous movies made on it?
I haven't seen any of the other ones, but most people tell me that the 70s version sucked.

I hate how in the movie the people are so colourful but the background is so bland and colourless

It throws me out of the whole thing

SPOILER ALERT: Gatsby gets shot while floating in his pool on a mattress

Is this really necessary

I hate how in the movie the people are so colourful but the background is so bland and colourless

It throws me out of the whole thing
Really?  Only seemed to happen in the valley of ashes...

I'm sorry, can someone explain to me what The Great Gatsby is?

I liked the 1970s version.

SPOILER ALERT: Dumbledore dies

I'm sorry, can someone explain to me what The Great Gatsby is?
It's a book from the 1920's during the roaring 20's which is about this guy who is visiting his sister. The guy lives next door some guy who throws a party every week. Eventually he gets to know the man next door named Gatsby. Anyway the story is about the life of spoiled rich people, Love triangles, cheating, parties, and a gas station attendant in the valley of ashes.

There's a band called Gatsby's American Dream.

Yeah that's it

I got to see it today with my English class (got out of four class periods B) ) and I thought it was a really pretty movie. Asthetically, my jaw dropped in many of the scenes, just gorgeous. The music was very unsuiting, though, and the acting was good enough for the major actors and a couple minor actors. It followed the book with a good amount of fidelity and a few deviations that didn't harm the integrity of the story.