Need Help Choosing a New Computer for Family

Author Topic: Need Help Choosing a New Computer for Family  (Read 877 times)

What would be the best 'gaming' computer I could get for £400 (including VAT)? Preferably (but not 100% needed) from cyberpower (I'm not gonna build one, so prebuilt please) and (100%) needs to include Windows 7 but not accessories? I'd rather AMD but also not completely needed. Yes a desktop not a laptop. :D

I obviously put inverted commas on gaming because I know it won't be great, but it's for my sister who wants to play some games (not really high graphically intensive ones) and family use.

I tried posting this in the computer megathread but nobody seemed to help so I just thought it'd be easier to ask everyone in general instead.

Thanks in advance. :)

I'll try with Cyberpower, but you really really should consider building. You'll get much more for the price, and when you know what you're doing, building a computer can be fun.

I'll try with Cyberpower, but you really really should consider building. You'll get much more for the price, and when you know what you're doing, building a computer can be fun.

Computers under 600 bucks that are prebuilt are actually cheaper then computers that are custom built  with the same specs.

I would build it but I've got quite a lot on at the moment as well as the biggest reason my parents would rather I just bought one pre-built since it's the family computer and it's their money they'd rather just have a simple solution.

I plan to upgrade my personal computer by hand at christmas but for now it's probably just for the best that we get a prebuilt one - I did the math and cyberpower only seem to charge overall about £30 - £40 more than it would be via building which isn't REALLY bad considering the convenience and safety you get from it.

Thanks anyway though, it'd be great if you could get a good cyberpower build! :D

Computers under 600 bucks that are prebuilt are actually cheaper then computers that are custom built  with the same specs.
Only because they get the parts from unbranded Chinese manufacturers that will make the parts for 50% less. These parts are usually made through slave labor and are of the absolute lowest quality. The reason custom builds are more expensive in that area is because regular consumers cannot order from those manufacturers, and are forced to buy higher quality parts.

Don't start the whole "building a computer is cheaper so you should totally do it or we'll stuff on you" thread.

He asked for an already build PC. Done. That's it. End of. Period. Throw the whole concept of "Building PCs is cheaper" out of your goddamn loving mind, and give this person what he asked for, which is to suggest an already built family computer.

Sorry if this came out harshly but every time one of these topics start it gets really annoying seeing people whine and have an online tantrum at the OP because he wants a built one which is more expensive.

Sorry if this came out harshly but every time one of these topics start it gets really annoying seeing people whine and have an online tantrum at the OP because he wants a built one which is more expensive.
Unfortunately, I looked at Cyberpower's website, and there really isn't anything there that seems acceptable for the price the OP specified. My point is that he could build one and get what he needs, and maybe even have some fun while he's at it.

If you can't get one off cyberpower I don't mind other sites so long as it has/is a UK based site and is respectable.

If you do have the time to gather the parts and build one yourself you can do something like:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/10c1g ( 300 euro (77 extra for crossfire) )

G860 Dual Core @ 3.0GHz (Pretty decent for a dual core and the price)

HD 7770 (You can add a 2nd one in Crossfire for an extra 77 euro. The motherboard in link above supports crossfire)

8GB DDR3 1600MHz

Edit:
UK based sites.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-344-OE  (Normally it comes with GT 620, under 'choose your GPU' select HD 7770)
AMD X4 640 3.0GHz (For your family needs and sister's 'gaming' it should do good)
HD 7770
4GB DDR3 1600MHz

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/Tekheads-Gaming-ST-R-42GHz-PC-Barebones-AMD-FX-4-Core-CPU--8GB-DDR3-RAM--RADEON-6670-2GB-DX11-VGA--Motherboard--Gaming-Case--500W-PSU_44264.html
AMD FX Bulldozer 4170
HD6670
8GB DDR3 1333MHz
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 02:13:39 PM by Blockzillahead »

Don't start the whole "building a computer is cheaper so you should totally do it or we'll stuff on you" thread.

He asked for an already build PC. Done. That's it. End of. Period. Throw the whole concept of "Building PCs is cheaper" out of your goddamn loving mind, and give this person what he asked for, which is to suggest an already built family computer.

You didn't read what I said did you?

If you can't get one off cyberpower I don't mind other sites so long as it has/is a UK based site and is respectable.

To my knowledge Newegg isn't and doesn't have a UK based version of their site. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

To my knowledge Newegg isn't and doesn't have a UK based version of their site. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

No it doesn't sadly. I fixed it and found two new Desktops that are on UK sites.

On the overclockers site, the desktop I posted you can customize it a bit if you'd like. Like add 8GB of RAM.

The overclockers one looks nice, but it costs £457 with Windows 7 added.
I'll see if my parents would be okay with that. Thanks. :)

The overclockers one looks nice, but it costs £457 with Windows 7 added.
I'll see if my parents would be okay with that. Thanks. :)

or you could install linux for free and then use WINE to install Windows applications.

or you could install linux for free and then use WINE to install Windows applications.
I'd rather not.