Blockland for some reasons runs very poorly on Linux now?

Author Topic: Blockland for some reasons runs very poorly on Linux now?  (Read 1109 times)

Specifically Ubuntu and both wine versions 1.4 and 1.5 it seems that the game doesnt run as well as it used to. I am not sure if its Ubuntu 13.04 or an update with Blockland. The game runs pretty well/normal with shaders off or minimum but if you put shaders on low you get random tiny lag spikes and then any higher you still get the lagspikes but rather in areas with a lot of shadows you dont "lag" as usual but rather your mouse sensitivity goes down a lot (very slow). I am using AMD 13.4 driver that I compiled (it works fine with every other game). Blockland used to run flawlessly a couple months ago with max shaders and everything, last time I tried was when the Speedkart gamemode was released...nothing graphical was updated so I am guessing its either Ubuntu 13.04 or my video drivers?

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? What distro, wine and video card driver version?

1.6rc1 seems to be out now in the Arch repos, although I haven't noticed any differences from 1.5.31.
Intel GMA965 here, though, just updated to xf86-video-intel 2.21.9.

It's probably your video drivers, you said you compiled them yourself. Did you install them after you played BL the last time?

EDIT: I actually think I gained about 3-4fps in minimum shaders now, hm.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 10:13:44 PM by TheBlackParrot »

Intel GMA965 here

You have a intel...? What shaders can that stuff run?

EDIT: Sorry got too excited when I heard you can go past minimum.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 10:20:46 PM by Deve111² »

EDIT: Sorry got too excited when I heard you can go past minimum.
Yeah, it crashes on anything above minimum.

from metrics(fps);

Yeah, it crashes on anything above minimum.

from metrics(fps);

Damn max on that..
I hope that's a glitch on it lol.

1.6rc1 seems to be out now in the Arch repos, although I haven't noticed any differences from 1.5.31.
Intel GMA965 here, though, just updated to xf86-video-intel 2.21.9.

It's probably your video drivers, you said you compiled them yourself. Did you install them after you played BL the last time?

EDIT: I actually think I gained about 3-4fps in minimum shaders now, hm.
Last time I played Blockland I installed the drivers from the Software Sources. As compiling, I didn't REALLY compile them, you just extract the .tar.gz file and get a .run file, you run the .run file and then several .deb packages are made, you run those and bam you're good to go (there is another command you need to type to create the xorg config that's automatic though). Also when I go into software sources with the drivers I "compiled" myself it says I have the fglrx updates or whatever so I don't know anymore. I need some more people to test it with their systems and see if they get the same "lag" issues I'm getting.

If only Badspot were to port Blockland on linux, id donate $20 on the spot.

Doesn't Ubuntu already have a driver installation thing anyhow? Have you tried doing that?

Doesn't Ubuntu already have a driver installation thing anyhow? Have you tried doing that?
Yeah and when I used those drivers I had V-sync stuck on being enabled only on Blockland, but again performance was still good however id have to lower shaders in places with more bricks because of it.