Author Topic: I need help with music.  (Read 639 times)

I am starting to make music, I am from Toronto
and my "stage name" I guess you can call it that
is Robotica. I am trying to make disco and techno
similar to Daft Punk and I am not very good..
all I could ever request is a couple of pointers.

Well, what software are you using, first of all.

And second, probably the most basic and yet most relevant tip you can receive: DON'T RUSH. I've learned this the hard way, and trust me, it helps to take your time. This applies to more than just making music, too.

Another tip: Find a bunch of music similar to what you're looking to make, and listen for the things that make up the song; how the beat is constructed, where the subtle shifts are located, basic tonality, etc.

Tweak, tweak, TWEAK those synths! A basic synth can go from great to horrible (or vice versa) with just an adjustment or two. A good melody is key to a good song; however, if your synths don't match the mood of the melody, or are just flat and boring, it makes for a crappy song.

One more: Ambience is key (in most cases). If you have spaces between notes/beats without anything there, everything will sound abrupt and the song will lack a filling tonality.

Other than that, just let your creativity flow. If you need a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), I suggest audiotool.com to get you started quickly.

Cheers!

youtube has a whole bunch of tutorials on anything music-wise you could probably think of.
trust me, use it.

another EDM producer, eh?

Thanks for all the help. I use FL Studio 10.

youtube has a whole bunch of tutorials on anything music-wise you could probably think of.
trust me, use it.
YouTube taught me how to use Sytrus, but I was dumb and felt that was all I needed and closed
the browser.

YouTube taught me how to use Sytrus, but I was dumb and felt that was all I needed and closed
the browser.
I do this pretty much all the time, and it's fine. It's usually good to just practice extensively with one VST or just one part of the program, then move on to another, instead of making a sort of "checklist" of what your song needs and trying to master it all at once.