Author Topic: Megashot - Take better screenshots  (Read 86205 times)

Badspot

• Administrator
A little known, undocumented feature of Blockland is the mega shot.  This feature allows you to effectively use multiple screenshots to automatically create a single high resolution shot - much higher than could actually be rendered by your video card.  To use it simply set $megashotScaleFactor in the console and then take DOF screenshot (ctrl + shift + P)

For example $megashotScaleFactor = 2; makes double-size screenshots, $megashotScaleFactor = 4; quadruple, etc.  

Be aware that depending on your hardware it could take a long time to take these.  If you take a screenshot that is larger than 2048 pixels on a side, it will not show up in the main menu preview slideshow.  Mip maps are still enabled based on screen resolution so it far away textures may appear blurry in the mega shots.  

The cool part about these shots is that you can later crop and re-sample them down to a lower size in your favorite image editor and end up with super crisp screenshots even if you have crappy video hardware.  Example attached:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 05:00:58 PM by Badspot »

Lovely, Thanks for this.

You can really tell the differnce, nice one.

that is class lol  gd shots

Do you think many people will use this from now on?

People with good computers, Yes.

I will.

People with good computers, Yes.

I will.

Its a shame im on a laptop on Blockland. :(

Badspot

• Administrator
You don't need a good computer noobs.  That's the whole point.  You can run in 640x480 and take a 5120x3840 screenshot.

Can we use $megashotScaleFactor = .25 to create thumbnails?

Thanks for that, very useful.

Wow, that looks so much nicer. It doesn't have the choppy edges.

idk if its either my laptop (nicknamed crap-top) or my eyes but i truly can't tell the diffrence, please show me as im interested.

idk if its either my laptop (nicknamed crap-top) or my eyes but i truly can't tell the diffrence, please show me as im interested.

That's the point, he changed the resolutions.

This is really useful, thank you for sharing.  I can see a lot of uses for it.

i wanna play the game on those resolutions lol.

my screen only supports up to
1940x1200