Guide to Installing Blender DTS Exporter

Author Topic: Guide to Installing Blender DTS Exporter  (Read 9488 times)

Guide to Installing Blender DTS Exporter
General Blender Help Thread | Guide to Exporting DTS Models

This is a tutorial for manually installing the Blender DTS exporter. This guide is mostly for Linux and Mac users as Windows users can simply use the premade package I've made. To get started, download all the software below applicable for your operating system (OS). The installation guide will then tell you what to do with them.

Please note that there is useful info in every section of this post, not just the installation part. Please read the entire post but note that the OS specific installation instructions are just that and bear no use if you do not use that operating system.

Halt, Windows users!
(Any version!)

Do you have a 32-bit Windows? Don't know what that means?
Download this: http://mirror.dataorb.net/Blender249b_Python262_DTloveporter097b3.zip

64-bit Windows user?
Download this: http://mirror.dataorb.net/Blender249b_Python262_DTloveporter097b3_64bit.zip

You just download Blender 2.49b with prepackaged Python 2.6.2 and Blender DTS Exporter 0.97 beta 3. Now you're ready to go and can safely ignore the rest of this thread. There's nothing useful left for you here.

Unless of course you are looking to animate playertypes. In that case you need this one too. It's the same as the 32-bit above but with DTS Exporter 0.964.
Download: http://mirror.dataorb.net/Blender249b_Python262_DTloveporter0964.zip

Don't worry, you can run both Blenders at the same time. When you need to export some regular models, use the first Blender. When you need playertype animations, use the Blender above.

Go on. Get exporting.

Not a Windows user? Read the rest of the thread.

The Blender DTS Exporter only works with Blender 2.49b. (Operating system is irrelevant.) It might work on older version but it WILL NOT WORK on newer Blender versions. The exporter was made by James Urquhart and Joseph Greenawalt but the official DTS Exporter website (http://www.jsgreenawalt.com/) has since gone down and the Blender project page (https://projects.blender.org/projects/torqueexporter/) files no longer exist. Now the exporter is only available via unofficial mirrors.

Blender DTS Exporter 0.97 beta 3
This was released on 4th of July 2009 and it is the latest version of the DTS Exporter. I generally recommend using this exporter even though older versions are available. Most exporting guides are made for this exporter.
Download: http://mirror.dataorb.net/BlenderDTloveporter_097beta3.zip

Blender DTS Exporter 0.964
This was released on 11th of August 2008. For whatever reason this exporter exports .DSQ files better than the newest exporter and as such I recommend using this exporter for exporting playertype animations. I don't recall being able to export .DSQ files that worked in Blockland with the newest exporter version.
Download: http://mirror.dataorb.net/BlenderDTloveporter_0964.zip

Since the DTS Exporter only works with Blender 2.49b, you're going to need to download that. Please note that you can have multiple installations of Blender (any versions, even multiples of the same version) running in tandem with no problems at all.

Blender 2.49b for Linux: http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.49b/blender-2.49b-linux-glibc236-py26-i386.tar.bz2
Blender 2.49b for Linux (64-bit): http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.49b/blender-2.49b-linux-glibc236-py26-x86_64.tar.bz2

Blender 2.49b for Ubuntu: http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.49b/blender_2.49b-ubuntu0904_i386.deb
Blender 2.49b for Ubuntu (64-bit): http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.49b/blender_2.49b-ubuntu0904_amd64.deb

Blender 2.49b for Mac OS X v10.3 (Panther) for PowerPC CPU's: http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.49b/blender-2.49b-OSX-10.3-powerpc-py2.3.tar.bz2
Blender 2.49b for Mac OS X v10.4 (Tiger): http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.49b/blender-2.49b-OSX-10.4-py2.3-intel.zip
Blender 2.49b for Mac OS X v10.4 (Leopard): http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.49b/blender-2.49b-OSX-10.5-py2.5-intel.zip

Windows download links are at the top of the post.

The Blender DTS Exporter needs Python 2.6.2 to run. There is a basic version of Python packed into every Blender installation but the DTS Exporter needs more than that.

Python 2.6.2 for Linux (Gzip): http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.2/Python-2.6.2.tgz
Python 2.6.2 for Linux (Bzip): http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.2/Python-2.6.2.tar.bz2

Python 2.6.2 for Mac: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.2/python-2.6.2-macosx2009-04-16.dmg

Python 2.6.2 for Ubuntu: No idea.

Windows download links are at the top of the post.

Fun fact: I pulled these instructions out of my ass. If they don't work let me know. I couldn't find a guide on the Internet on how to install Blender scripts on Linux so I based this on some scraps of info and the Windows directory structure.
Installing Blender DTS Exporter on Linux/Ubuntu
I'm hoping the installation procedure is the same for Linux and Ubuntu. If they aren't, let me know.

If you want to do playertype animations, create two Blender 2.49b installations, and follow the guide below for both installations but using the different exporter. If you have no idea what I'm talking about you did not read the Blender DTS Exporter section fully. Read it.

Okay I lied a little. There is one problem with having multiple Blender installations. The automatic DTS Exporter installation script (Which is included in the exporter for Linux, Mac, and Windows) is probably not going to work and is going to install the DTS Exporter for the wrong Blender version which could mess things up. So instead of running one file you now have to spend three minutes looking for your .blender folder. Too bad.

Part 1: Forcing Blender to use Python 2.6.2
  • Install Python 2.6.2.
  • Install/Extract Blender 2.49b.
  • Go to your Python 2.6.2 installation folder and copy all contents NOT the installation folder itself.
  • Go to your Blender 2.49b installation folder and paste all files and folders.
  • The contents of the Python 2.6.2 installation folder are now inside the Blender 2.49b along with
  • Blender 2.49b is now using Python 2.6.2.

Part 2: Finding your .blender folder (Yes the folder name includes a dot. The folder name is exactly as presented.)
  • Go to your Blender 2.49b installation folder. (Where the GPL-license.txt file is.)
  • If there is a folder named scripts, open that folder and go to Part 3. If there is no such folder, go to the next step.
  • Open the .blender folder. If there is no such folder, continue to Part 2.3.
  • If the .blender folder is now open, open the scripts folder and go to Part 3.

Part 2.3: The .blender folder is missing
  • Run Blender 2.49b.
  • Close Blender 2.49b.
  • Go to your Blender 2.49b installation folder.
  • Open the plugins folder.
  • Wherever your directory path is visible and editable, it should say something along the lines of: some/other/stuff/blender-2.49b/plugins
  • Change the plugins text in the directory path to: .blender
  • If the .blender is now open, open the scripts folder and go to Part 3.
  • If the .blender is not open, continue to Part 2.6.

Part 2.6: The .blender folder is still missing
  • Run Blender 2.49b.
  • Close Blender 2.49b.
  • Go to: /home/Your-Username/.config/blender/2.49b/scripts
  • If there is no such folder start again from Part 2.

Part 3: Confirming the folder
  • You should now have a folder named scripts open.
  • To confirm that this is the correct folder check that the following two folders are visible: bpydata and bpymodules. You should also see the following two files: 3ds_export.py and 3ds_import.py. There are also over a hundred other files in this folder.
  • If you cannot find the two folders and the two files I mentioned above, post in this thread. I have no idea what is wrong.
  • Leave the scripts folder open.

Part 4: Moving the DTS Exporter files and folders
  • Extract the Blender DTS Exporter and open the folder.
  • Inside the extracted folder (Not the folder itself.) select all files and folders and copy them.
  • Go to the scripts folder.
  • Paste all files and folders there.

Part 5: Confirming the functionality of the Blender DTS Exporter
  • Run Blender 2.49b.
  • Close Blender 2.49b.
  • Run Blender 2.49b.
  • In the topmost toolbar select the File drop-down menu.
  • In the File drop-down menu highlight Export.
  • Two new export options should be visible: Torque Shape (.dts) Quick Export... and Torque Shape (.dts)...
  • Your Blender DTS Exporter is now ready for use.

If you want to do playertype animations, create two Blender 2.49b installations, and follow the guide below for both installations but using the different exporter. If you have no idea what I'm talking about you did not read the Blender DTS Exporter section fully. Read it.

Okay I lied a little. There is one problem with having multiple Blender installations. The automatic DTS Exporter installation script (Which is included in the exporter for Linux, Mac, and Windows) is probably not going to work and is going to install the DTS Exporter for the wrong Blender version which could mess things up. So instead of running one file you now have to spend three minutes looking for your .blender folder. Too bad.

• Install Python 2.6.2.
  • Go to your Python 2.6.2 installation folder and copy all contents NOT the installation folder itself.
  • The contents of the Python 2.6.2 installation folder are now inside the Blender 2.49b along with

Part 2: Finding your .blender folder (Yes the folder name includes a dot. The folder name is exactly as presented.)
  • Go to your Blender 2.49b installation folder. (Where the GPL-license.txt file is.)
  • Right click the Blender application and select Show Package Contents.
  • Go to Contents folder and then the MacOS folder.
  • If there is a folder named .blender, open that folder and then open the scripts folder and go to Part 3.
  • If the .blender folder is missing, continue to Part 2.5.

Part 2.5: Terminal commands to show hidden files
  • Open your Terminal window.
  • In your Terminal window type: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE (Legit command, Google it.)
  • Wait for the command to process and then type: killall Finder (Legit command, Google it.)
  • Wait for all the windows to reopen.
  • Repeat steps 1-4 of Part 2.

• To confirm that this is the correct folder check that the following two files are visible: 3ds_export.py and 3ds_import.py. There are also over a hundred other files in this folder.
  • If you cannot find the two files I mentioned above, post in this thread. I have no idea what is wrong.

• Inside the extracted folder (Not the folder itself.) select all files and folders and copy them.

Part 5: Undoing the Terminal commands
  • Open your Terminal window.
  • In your Terminal window type: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE (Legit command, Google it.)
  • Wait for the command to process and then type: killall Finder (Legit command, Google it.)
  • Wait for all the windows to reopen.

Part 6: Confirming the functionality of the Blender DTS Exporter
  • Run Blender 2.49b.
  • Close Blender 2.49b.
  • Run Blender 2.49b.
  • Two new export options should be visible: Torque Shape (.dts) Quick Export... and Torque Shape (.dts)...

You know your life would be a lot easier if you had just downloaded the premade package for Windows at the top of the post. It works just fine. But now that you've traveled this far and skillfully avoided my subtle hints, you must really want to install this manually. Here you go: Blender 2.49b / Blender 2.49b 64-bit and Python 2.6.2 / Python 2.6.2 64-bit. Download the ones you need. Get the DTS Exporter from the start of the post.

If you want to do playertype animations, create two Blender 2.49b installations and follow the guide below for both installations but using the different exporter. If you have no idea what I'm talking about go read Blender DTS Exporter section.

• Install Python 2.6.2.

• Open the .blender folder. If there is no such folder, continue to Part 2.3.
  • If the .blender folder is now open, open the scripts folder and go to Part 3.

Part 2.3: The .blender folder is missing
  • Run Blender 2.49b.
  • Close Blender 2.49b.
  • Go to your Blender 2.49b installation folder.
  • Open the plugins folder.
  • Wherever your directory path is visible and editable, it should say something along the lines of: some/other/stuff/blender-2.49b/plugins
  • Change the plugins text in the directory path to: .blender
  • If the .blender is now open, open the scripts folder and go to Part 3.
  • If the .blender is not open, continue to Part 2.6.

Part 2.6: The .blender folder is still missing
  • Run Blender 2.49b.
  • Close Blender 2.49b.
  • Open the Run dialog from the start menu or press Windows Key/Win + R.
  • Type in: %APPDATA%\Blender Foundation\Blender\ (It opens this path quickly: C:\Users\Your-Username\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender)
  • Open the .blender folder and then the scripts folder.
  • If there is no such folder start again from Part 2.

• To confirm that this is the correct folder check that the following two folders are visible: bpydata and bpymodules. You should also see the following two files: 3ds_export.py and 3ds_import.py. There are also over a hundred other files in this folder.
  • If you cannot find the two folders and the two files I mentioned above, post in this thread. I have no idea what is wrong.

Part 5: Confirming the functionality of the Blender DTS Exporter
  • Run Blender 2.49b.
  • Close Blender 2.49b.
  • Run Blender 2.49b.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:57:36 AM by Demian »

Reserved for future use.

Thank you Demian! :D

Once again, Demian, great tutorial. However, you may want to fix the typo near the beginning; you said "Max" instead of "Mac". And we don't need a bunch of people starting a rage party because you misspelled Mac and not Windows. Because we all know that that is likely on this forum.

Once again, Demian, great tutorial. However, you may want to fix the typo near the beginning; you said "Max" instead of "Mac". And we don't need a bunch of people starting a rage party because you misspelled Mac and not Windows.
Pfft, that's ridiculous. Why would the internet do something dumb like that?

Pfft, that's ridiculous. Why would the internet do something dumb like that?
Heehee, I dunno. Hey forum, people on the Internet don't do dumb stuff, right? XD

Once again, Demian, great tutorial. However, you may want to fix the typo near the beginning; you said "Max" instead of "Mac".
Ah, thanks for pointing it out. Fixed.

Also to install blender from source code on linux remember the classic
Code: [Select]
cd [blenderdirectory]
(for example ~/Desktop/blender/

./configure
make
make install (may have to run as sudo make install)

Also to install blender from source code on linux remember the classic
cd [blenderdirectory]
(for example ~/Desktop/blender/
If you do it like that wouldn't you need to move each file individually?

If you do it like that wouldn't you need to move each file individually?
..no? That compiles Linux programs from source code