Is an alienware laptop worth it?

Author Topic: Is an alienware laptop worth it?  (Read 1827 times)

NOTE: Before you go "LOL NO ITZ 2 EXPENSIVE111!1!!!" or "ITS TOTAL stuff", I want some actual CONSTRUCTIVE reasons behind your reasoning.

So Im thinking about getting a new laptop for Xmas. So I immediately think of Alienware. What Im looking at is the mx14. But I need some reviews before switching to looking at other brands
Anyway post some reviews about Alienware computers
And remember make your post atleast constructive as to whether or not you perfer alienware.

Edit: Also, Budget is not what im looking for

Despite what the anti-Alienware circlejerk likes to think, Alienware does make good computers, if you don't mind paying a premium. For a laptop, you can't really go wrong with Alienware. You'd be hard pressed to find more performance squeezed into a laptop.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:54:32 PM by dkamm65 »

costs a little much compared to other brands. but they would game. but i mean.... any laptop with a video card can game. and most of them HAVE dedicated video cards these days.

i would go asus

NOTE: Before you go "LOL NO ITZ 2 EXPENSIVE111!1!!!" or "ITS TOTAL stuff", I want some actual CONSTRUCTIVE reasons behind your reasoning.

no. because it does come down to price.

any computer anywhere. any brand. they all have easily comparable specs.
and alienware loses every time on money, with comparable computers.

Does ASUS allow customization?

notebooks/laptops don't really offer customization

notebooks/laptops don't really offer customization

Not true. Look at sites like iBuyPower or CyberPowerPC.

Not true. Look at sites like iBuyPower or CyberPowerPC.
Thanks for informing me of those sites.

if you are a 12 year old and love to masturbate over LEDs, then yes.

You're better off building a computer/laptop bro. Just saying, I saved a crapload building mine barebones.

You're better off building a computer/laptop bro. Just saying, I saved a crapload building mine barebones.
What sites offer parts for building your own laptop?

I was going to suggest this too, but OP is 14. I know lots of 14 year olds are skilled enough to build a custom pc. But from the fact that the OP is considering to buy an alienware laptop, he probably doesn't know how to build one.

Alienware is a little overpriced as people mentioned before, but their cases are stylish and you can open it up easily and exchange the components later when you know more about computers. When you are customizing it online though, DO NOT ALWAYS CHOOSE THE ONE THAT SAYS ALIENWARE RECOMMENDED. They recommend components that are made by companies that have contracted with them to share a percentage of the profit.
You can see this clearly when you look at how they recommend ATI over everything. I recommend NVidia if you are going for a gaming laptop.

What sites offer parts for building your own laptop?
newegg.com
there's a bunch more though. There is a personal computer megathread in off-topic which is very helpful.

Does the computer have to be gaming involved?

if you are a 12 year old and love to masturbate over LEDs, then yes.