Author Topic: How much resources does dedicated hosting take for Blockland?  (Read 1364 times)

I'm getting a new computer soon and I was wondering if hosting dedicated from my laptop instead of my new desktop would noticeably lessen the resource usage. Say, if I was browsing the internet and listening to iTunes in the background, would it slow down the server if I hosted on the desktop?

Planned specs for new desktop:
A8 5600k
EVGA GTX 650ti Boost
8 gig Gskill ram
7200RPM WD Blue

If you are going for a 24/7 server just pay 15$ for rtb hosting, it saves you all the trouble and you don't have to worry about your computer effecting anyone else but you.

That seems like a good idea, since my internet connection is shoddy at best.

If you are going for a 24/7 server just pay 15$ for rtb hosting, it saves you all the trouble and you don't have to worry about your computer effecting anyone else but you.

If you don't have money for this, I'd suggest going with an alternative hosting service (CBMHost or Hamhost for example)

Why does everybody suggest using a hosting service?

Yes, that will work just fine.

Say, if I was browsing the internet and listening to iTunes in the background, would it slow down the server if I hosted on the desktop?
hardware-wise, you should be fine.  unless you're playing some ridiculous high end game on it as well.

however your dedi's performance while browsing the internet or streaming music from the internet will depend on your actual internet connection provided by your ISP.

I've said this before so some may remember but Blockland is really low on system requirements when it comes to running the server. I ran a Speedkart server with 3-4 people on a system with a Pentium 4 1.6ghz, 240mb of system memory, and I used the OS CentOS. The server ran flawlessly, I would get the "LAG" icon when the round would restart and maps would change (which is mormal IMO) but racing was flawless and didnt lag one bit. So basically, if your specs are better than that you will be fine lol. HOWEVER, upload speed is also a biggy when running a server for any game (I have about 20mbps)

HOWEVER, upload speed is also a biggy when running a server for any game (I have about 20mbps)
I agree with everything you said. However, just 4mbps can handle at least 30 players, so I'm sure that if you have less players a lower upload speed wouldn't matter.

I was looking at your specs, why do you have an APU with a dedicated graphics card? You should get a Phenom II X4 or something. If you want to keep your APU you should get an AMD graphics card so you can crossfire the integrated GPU with the dedicated card however there isn't a wide list of cards that can do hybrid crossfire with it. I would suggest getting the Phenm II X4 or if you want higher than get somethig higher than that.

so I take it that dedis are really low on requirements, assuming you're only hosting one