Author Topic: I need to look for an external video card.  (Read 979 times)

So around 2 years ago I got this laptop and it's pretty damn cool, only problem is that is has an intel family graphics card which kind of sucks, and I'm thinking of getting an external video card.

I can't get a new computer or laptop so don't even tell me.

Any good externals you guys could recommend?

Btw my budget is around 100$

you can't stick an external GPU into a laptop, it doesn't work like that.  unless you do bisjac's silly tutorial but that will run you over $100 and it's not worth the money you'd need to pay unless you have most of those parts lying around.

you wont even be able to get a good GPU for $100

you wont even be able to get a good GPU for $100
The 7770 is a pretty decent budget card. I can play BF3 Ultra settings with a cool 60FPS.

But yeah, you can't just stick a graphics card into your laptop and call it a day. You'd need at least 20 ounces of magic and a pound of potions for that to work.

But yeah, you can't just stick a graphics card into your laptop and call it a day. You'd need at least 20 ounces of magic and a pound of potions for that to work.
what the forget are you talking about it won't work at all

you'll need a flux capacitor and a hyperdrive

overclock the megahurtz on your laptops stack matrix

Last I checked, magic can do some magical things.

The 7770 is a pretty decent budget card. I can play BF3 Ultra settings with a cool 60FPS.
wtf? i tried the 7770 a while back and i got on bf3 40-45 fps on medium at 1920x1080
far cry 3 medium settings around 35-40 fps 1920x1080

wtf? i tried the 7770 a while back and i got on bf3 40-45 fps on medium at 1920x1080

what about your other pc specs

what about your other pc specs
when i played farcry it was a fx-6300, 16gb of 1600 ram
when i played bf3 it was an i7-3770 with 16gb of 1333 ram

budget. performance.

pick one

I hate to bump this, but I forgot to mention my resolution was like 1600x900 or whatever. That could probably be it.

you can't stick an external GPU into a laptop, it doesn't work like that.  unless you do bisjac's silly tutorial but that will run you over $100 and it's not worth the money you'd need to pay unless you have most of those parts lying around.

I mean it's fine, but it requires you to use a separate monitor, the laptop monitor becomes useless.

Not to mention hardcore bottleneck, a desktop GPU for mobile? Yeah have fun.

as if any laptop even has the express card slot anymore.  not to mention you still need a spare power supply.