Author Topic: why does setting the timescale to 2x double brick loading speed  (Read 2011 times)

that just seems like it shouldn't work
is it speeding up the program? if so could i load save at superspeed if i set the game to 20x speed with cheat engine?

maybe it speeds up the proccesing of the game? I really have no idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwJQxD8LLNY

same concept maybe? lol

It doesn't.

see i didnt think it did but somewhere i heard it did, a few times actually.

this may be like the fifth.

I feel like it happens too, but that might just be the bricks that are loading that are appearing twice as fast (with less fade), making it seem faster.

I'm talking about when I try to load bricks on my server. When I raise the brickcount the blue bar fills twice as fast.

It doesn't.
I'm actually pretty sure it does. Timescale is a function built straight in the torque engine, and it literally affects every aspect of the game. Some things that occur on the same engine tick will be the same speed or faster than normal speed at 0.5x timescale, but actions that happen across multiple ticks will actually take twice the time and not just appear to go slower.

At 2x timescale, your computer will recieve information twice as fast as it did before, then your hardware will render it as fast as it can usually. There will be a point at which your computer can't keep up with it and you'll lag while loading. Regardless, I don't believe there's a way to get the timescale above two anyway, so that's the best it's going to get

Because you speed up time.

In this sense, if you set the timescale to 2, it would double your computer specs.
PROFIT

I'm actually pretty sure it does. Timescale is a function built straight in the torque engine, and it literally affects every aspect of the game. Some things that occur on the same engine tick will be the same speed or faster than normal speed at 0.5x timescale, but actions that happen across multiple ticks will actually take twice the time and not just appear to go slower.

At 2x timescale, your computer will recieve information twice as fast as it did before, then your hardware will render it as fast as it can usually. There will be a point at which your computer can't keep up with it and you'll lag while loading. Regardless, I don't believe there's a way to get the timescale above two anyway, so that's the best it's going to get

So I had the right idea or no?

IIRC it is faster when you have timescale 2 because more packets are being sent/received

I am pretty sure many games limit certain parts of their games to stabilize them.
For instance, we have projectile limits and all that. We have limits on the scripts, limits on the bricks.
But it's not that the game can't work better or go past those limits, it's just a "safe zone".
Timescale bypasses that. In theory ghosting could be done way faster than it is now, but it would be even less stable.
Well, that's my opinion.

IIRC it is faster when you have timescale 2 because more packets are being sent/received

nonononono
no

loading bricks uses a TorqueScript schedule
the timescale just effectively halves the tick delay

Because you speed up time.

In this sense, if you set the timescale to 2, it would double your computer specs.
PROFIT
lol

This

nonononono
no

...which doubles the amount of packets per second.

How was he wrong?

In fact, you're wrong because ghosting is handled at a lower level.