Author Topic: Hotel (yea, it really isn't a skyscraper)  (Read 5013 times)

I would also give it a 0/10

Lacks detail, creativity, design
You really can't tell what it is

And you have windows at 2 different heights

I take it OP hasn't been building for too long so I'm not going to give it a rating considering he's still learning basic building skills.

What I would suggest? Take a look through the gallery, lego sets, real life buildings. Get some inspiration, then get a floor plan. Practice makes perfect -- don't get discouraged. Once you have the skills, you never really lose them. Develop a style that suits you and then stick to it.

Do smaller projects. Don't go straight for the hotel skyscraper. Go for the small corner cafe and make sure you get the details and the trims down. You may want to consider doing interior only / exterior only builds and then when you get the basics down on both of those concepts, attempt to meld them together. Detail is essential.

Something that's almost essential for beginning builders is beating the box. What you've built is essentially a box with windows. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be curvy and wedged, it just has to consist of more than one box.

I don't mean this:

Because that's completely impossible to do in blockland. Just something that has depth and contour.

And just remember, practice makes perfect. Stick at it, look at other people's builds, get inspiration, and don't get discouraged. You'll get better over time.

And forget everyone else. Don't listen to the starfishs that tell you you're a terrible builder. You're not a terrible builder, you're a beginning builder -- somewhere we've all been.

I like this a lot, the theme of this looks like an old British rusty inn. It doesn't have any interior detail, but it still looks good. I think the exterior of the build was built very well.10/10

I get that you're trying to be nice and friendly, but stop. This helps nobody. OP is trying to learn here, crap like this will just instill stagnation.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:37:04 AM by RaR »

-snip-
I agree with you. I am back to Square one after not playing this for a year. The way I got to build better was from seeing people's builds and of course, imagination. I know people think this is a square box, but he is most likely not that great at building Skyscrapers. He'll need time to get better at building.

Try using some of the advice people have given. Use this to make your build EVEN better!

-snip-

Well stuff, this is almost exactly what I was going to post as I read through the thread.

OP, in a previous post of yours, you thought that the vertical lines made it look fat.  This is false.   When designing buildings of any kind, architects think about vertical and horizontal lines, whether those be drain pipes and gutters, patterns made by bricks, the way windows are layers out, etc.  If you want a building to look tall, you should use vertical lines more, and stay away from horizontal lines.  Using thinner and taller windows would also help with this effect.  Also, these vertical lines should be as thin as possible, they are only there for an illusion.  Making them lighter also helps with this, and gives a lightness (in weight) to the build.

Depending on the genre of build you are going for determines the type of window you'd want to use.  But, since you were originally going for a skyscraper, I'd tell you to not use hole-windows, because no skyscraper has a hole in the wall for a window.  Use transparent bricks.  And again going with height over width to create a tall building illusion, limit the number of bricks used for your windows, because that creates more horizontal lines.

Combine color groups, don't just use browns.  Skyscrapers use clear, blue, or black windows typically, usually have a black rubber lining on the outside, and are typically not brown.  Use the tan color you used, but get rid of the dark tan/brown.  Again, darker colors on vertical lines don't work well.

-snip-

-snip-

Hey guys, a super thanks to you. I had gotten a little bit discouraged building after build such a flop. After reading your post though, I think I might try again. Something small this time though. =p

Hey guys, a super thanks to you. I had gotten a little bit discouraged building after build such a flop. After reading your post though, I think I might try again. Something small this time though. =p
Be sure to update us with pictures!

I don't have the heart to tell someone how bad their build is, I usually point out the things that could be changed and rate it around a 6. I've seen worse builds and on my freebuild I see a lot of things made out of 1x1x5s and 1x1s with almost no headroom.

I like how you're conserving the use of bricks, it also makes builds look more professional. it could also use a roof and be more 'rounded' and with more detail and maybe a parking lot outside of it along with garbage cans on the side and an AC unit on the roof or something, and a way to get to different floors. it is still good work.

I didn't see rar and gen. hothauser's posts til now but they are obviously offering good advice.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:12:27 PM by Isjix »