The JPEG Megathread - JPEG Double Reacharound

Poll

are you jpeg en0ugh

quality set to 0
20 (20.4%)
J̡̡̟͍̲͖̻̗P̛̘̩̯̮̩͘̕͠͝Ȩ̵̩̰̞̠̖͙͍͎̭̥̰͉̻̜͕̦͜Ģ̤̮̦͞
78 (79.6%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: The JPEG Megathread - JPEG Double Reacharound  (Read 17522 times)

"clicking on this thread should just send 3 asprins to your house immediately"

There are many ways to humorously ruin something beyond fixing. Among those, a JPEG is one of those. The hilariously bad image format is pretty popular in the activity of ruining things. Legend tells of the perfect jpeg, a disgusting slop of off-colored pixels. The perfect jpeg has not yet been found, but there are some methods of making hideous disasters close to it.

In other words this is a thread about ruining perfectly good pictures via jpeg.

How can I ruin perfectly good pictures?
Well I believe we can look to a master for such advice.

Question: what do you do to the SBaHJ pages to make them look so unbelievably stuffty?
Andrew Hussie: There is a lot to it. I don't have any trade secrets at all, but if I did, it would probably be the process I apply to those images.
One major tactic: save as jpg, reduce quality to zero, but DON'T SAVE IT YET. Instead, screen capture the preview. Then paste that into the same document, and repeat this process for a while, until you have grown the desired amount of "loss scum".
But this just keeps making the image foggier, which isn't good enough by itself. After that, I usually apply other effects, like strategic sharpenings and other misc. filters. I also use a lot of masking through color range selections, and perform meticulous alterations at the pixel-cluster level.

Contrary to popular belief, this is not very easy work. In fact, the amount of effort put into making stuffty jpegs is hilarious itself.

Do you have what it takes to ruin pictures? (probably)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:17:13 PM by Waru »

Fun Fact:
The littler header image was so bad that something forgeted up during it's upload to imgur. Probably. I would like to believe that's why that it screwed up.

Go to these places
Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff megathread
Needs more JPEG
Image glitcher

and now.... SPORPS
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:31:00 PM by Waru »

beautiful
also holy crap how did you ruin that title

beautiful
also holy crap how did you ruin that title
i used the andrew hussie method (in the op)

this works for sound too

User was banned for this post
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:26:30 PM by Badspot »

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:17:48 PM by Shell »

get banned
what
can you really be banned for that

you can get banned for this btw

drendran got banned for linking it
wow ok then