Poll

What feature are you looking forward to the most in v5?

Ecumbrance System
4 (3.3%)
Item Stacking System
8 (6.7%)
Events (?)
11 (9.2%)
Item Durability / Degradation Over Time
3 (2.5%)
Crafting & Item Forming
25 (20.8%)
Smelting with the Furnace & Crucible
0 (0%)
Vehicle Storage
13 (10.8%)
Display Bricks
2 (1.7%)
Storage Locking & Lock-Picking
7 (5.8%)
Backpacks & Containers
16 (13.3%)
Hybrid Item / Brick Planting
0 (0%)
Shops & Integrated Loot System (?)
5 (4.2%)
Item Modding & Repair (with the Anvil)
3 (2.5%)
Hunger, Thirst & Armor Support
23 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: ☐⇄☐ Item Storage (Alpha Released!)  (Read 120671 times)

Oh my gosh that poll is really difficult.  Lol why do you do this to me?!

Excellent - It's a shame GUIs are client sided  :panda:

Oh my gosh that poll is really difficult.  Lol why do you do this to me?!
Choose wisely... :P

Dude, this is soooooo awesome. Well done sir, well done.
Excellent - It's a shame GUIs are client sided  :panda:
Thanks! And yeah, however you can still use events and have players use the backpack commands instead.

Is there a way to force people to download the gui when they join? Some people join and act like idiots going "WHY CAN'T I SEE STUFF!"

It should message players to download the add-on / GUI for themselves (and provide a download link) when they join, try to use events (if restrictions are left on), use the backpack, etc. However, if necessary, you can detect if a player has the add-on downloaded by using the VCE variable <var:cl:hasMod>, and then constantly notify players to download it if they don't.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:30:16 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

I don't use variables. Is there any other way I could probably constantly spam it to them?

Hmm, I haven't tried this before, but you could setup pseudo events for when players spawn or join a minigame, taking advantage of the built-in add-on detection scripts. First make sure you leave limited event usage off in the Settings Manager. Then, you could use a relay to transfer an empty item to the player using IS_TransferItem, or check their inventory using IS_ifItemPresent or IS_ifItemInCells; you don't need conditional input events. If a player doesn't have the add-on, or if their version is outdated, it should constantly notify them with a message to download version 4 from RTB, with a download link.

If all else fails, you could setup a server-sided script that references getWord(%client.ISclInfo,2), which is basically the same thing as <var:cl:hasMod>, and then set it up to keep notifying the player to download v4 if the method doesn't equal 4.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:08:40 AM by [GSF]Ghost »

No offense Ghost, but <var:cl:hasMod> is pretty general, and could to a lot of mods, and could also refer to moderator positions.  Do you think you could change it to <var:cl:hasISMod>?

Sure, I'll update the variable name in v5.

there's too much text to read D:
i'd just like to know if there's an option allowing players to lose items in their backpack on death, and if it is even remotely possible to tie items to a backpack item rather than the player's client.

there's too much text to read D:
i'd just like to know if there's an option allowing players to lose items in their backpack on death, and if it is even remotely possible to tie items to a backpack item rather than the player's client.
Sorry. :/ There is an option for clearing a player's backpack inventory on death, including an option for clearing it on respawn only. They're the last two options under the Backpack category in the Server Settings Manager (just make sure you click "Save / Apply" to apply the settings to the server):

Also, it is certainly possible to tie items to a backpack item. When I was developing v4 however, it wasn't until later that I realized the Player::pickup function includes the ID of the item that was picked up, which is very helpful. Also, it somewhat complicates the backpack save file quota, as well as maintaining items in backpacks when stored in bricks. I'm see if I can include the feature in v5, though.

Amazing  :cookieMonster:
Thanks!

Update: I probably won't be starting on v5 for awhile, but here's what I'm planning for it so far:
-Rename hasMod VCE var
-Include 2 new player-based events (one to allow players to pickpocket players and bots to pickpocket bots, and another to add or subtract values from existing stacks - mainly to allow backpack item stacks to be used for weapon-ammo systems)
-Include a new brick-based event for spawning a stack of items as a single, physical item
-Tie items to individual backpacks (instead of just individual clients - not easy to do though)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:38:46 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

uh, i'm not sure, but wouldn't clear backpack on death and respawn be the same thing? i mean, no matter what, if you die, you will eventually respawn, right?

-Tie items to individual backpacks (instead of just individual clients - not easy to do though)

this would mean that if you made it so people drop their backpacks on death or something, people could loot through them, right?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:41:31 PM by Sami2ss »

Not necessarily.  If minigame resets and you respawn, then you could either keep or lose stuff.

Not necessarily.  If minigame resets and you respawn, then you could either keep or lose stuff.

oh, yeah, you're right lol totally forgot about that.