Looking for a game engine

Author Topic: Looking for a game engine  (Read 1856 times)

I'm currently using Unity for my main project and I've toyed around with the UDK and Spring, but I have another project I'm thinking of that has some different requirements:

1 - Must be a 3D engine of course,
2 - Must be capable of networked multiplayer,
3 - Doesn't pack the game assets (models, textures, audio, etc) into proprietarily formatted packs, and instead leaves everything open and uses standard formats, thus making it easy for users to create new content and customize the game.

As I mentioned, I'm using Unity for my current project, and I like it, but it wouldn't be very suitable for my next idea - all the assets and scenes in the game are packed very tightly into bundles and mostly converted to proprietary formats, making it difficult to nearly impossible for users to mod the game. It is possible to script your own runtime model importers and such (I think KSP does this, and there's also this thing available for purchase), but it's not very flexible and creating the sort of functionality I'm looking for would just lead to me creating an engine inside an engine.

I've looked around at other engines a bit, and UDK is nice and all, but as far as I can tell it's in the same boat as Unity when it comes to modding support. Spring is closer to what I need when it comes to asset loading and such, but it's also pretty strictly an RTS engine and wouldn't work for this particular project.

I don't need an engine with top-of-the-line graphics capabilities, I just need something flexible and open for modding that's also capable of networking. Can anybody recommend something?

Well if you told us what the project is that would certainly be helpful

torque is a cutting edge engine with high graphics capabilities

in all seriousness can you tell us what you're making

source engine
This. You have the option to pack it but it can also be unpacked iirc.

Are you using Unity3D? I heard its good for making games.

Sorry, should have explained in the OP: The idea is sort of an RTS/sandbox RPG hybrid - you can either command units on your side from above, or take control of one directly and play in a more action RPG-ish style. So the real gameplay depends on what the players wanna do - fight RTS-style, or just explore the world and find stuff on their own. The bit about the assets being open for modding is that I'd want to encourage people to make their own worlds to play in, not just stay with whatever is there by default.

Also, just to show I'm not talking fluff about game creation, here's some older screenshots of my current project (I'm currently porting the whole thing over from UnityScript to C# and re-writing a lot of stuff along the way, so the only screenshots I have that resemble something half decent remotely playable are old, but oh well):

Ambient occlusion lightmap test
A really ugly test area that looks like it's from a Nintendo 64 game also lol cylinders for torches
Another lighting test
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:03:57 PM by jamesster »

Will the Sandbox be more like a terrain? I also can't wait to play your awesome game. ;) I wish I can test it.

Sorry, should have explained in the OP: The idea is sort of an RTS/sandbox RPG hybrid - you can either command units on your side from above, or take control of one directly and play in a more action RPG-ish style. So the real gameplay depends on what the players wanna do - fight RTS-style, or just explore the world and find stuff on their own. The bit about the assets being open for modding is that I'd want to encourage people to make their own worlds to play in, not just stay with whatever is there by default.

Also, just to show I'm not talking fluff about game creation, here's some older screenshots of my current project (I'm currently porting the whole thing over from UnityScript to C# and re-writing a lot of stuff along the way, so the only screenshots I have that resemble something half decent remotely playable are old, but oh well):

Ambient occlusion lightmap test
A really ugly test area that looks like it's from a Nintendo 64 game also lol cylinders for torches
Another lighting test
You cannot use lego minifigures / brick style in your game. Unless you have a contract with lego which I doubt.

You cannot use lego minifigures / brick style in your game. Unless you have a contract with lego which I doubt.
Dear Jamie,

Thank you for your interest in LEGO® brand games.  We are always delighted to hear from a loyal LEGO enthusiast.

Unfortunately I do not have specific rules or guidelines to send to you regarding creating a LEGO Universe inspired game.  We understand the closing of the game was disappointing to our fans and wish it could have worked out better.  The only information I can give you for reference while creating your own game is the following:

You can use LEGO brand names, trademarks and copyrights etc., but only if it's for a personal project or one that nobody is making any money from.

I have to tell you about a few rules, though:

1) Please always spell the word LEGO using capital letters and use it only as an adjective not a noun. For example you can write "Model built with LEGO bricks" but not "Model built with Legos".

2) The first time you use the word LEGO please follow it with a "®" which shows everybody it's a registered trademark.

3) You can't use the red LEGO logo.

If you'd like to find out more about our rules please go to http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/corporate/fairplay.aspx, or get loads more LEGO Group information by going to http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/lego-group/locations/~/link.aspx?_id=1BF5B4A7C6CA421685D20755EC7F0EB7&_z=z

Thank you again for contacting us Jamie.  If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email or call one of our friendly Customer Care Advisors at 1-800-835-4386 (from within the US or Canada) or 1-860-749-0706 (from outside the US or Canada). We are available Monday through Friday from 8AM - 10PM EST and Saturday through Sunday from 10AM to 6PM EST.  Please have your reference number handy if you need to get in touch with us: 030355901A

Sincerely,

Jessica
LEGO Direct Consumer Services

(note that the email was initially asking about people attempting to make fan games based on the now dead LEGO Universe MMO, but they basically just said that there's nothing specific about the "rules" with LU and proceeded to talk about fan created software/games as a whole)

Fan-made LEGO software and games have been around for ages (LDraw has even gotten official support from LEGO in their LEGO Digital Designer program). Some examples:
http://www.moddb.com/games/lego-wolf3d
http://www.hurricane-eye.webs.com/legommorpg.html
http://www.brickbuild.org/
Blockland 0002
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:31:05 PM by jamesster »

Why are you creating a game if the plan isn't to make money with it?

Also, that's obviously a copy-paste message.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:28:44 PM by Zeblote »

Because I have a lot of fun making games. It's a hobby, not what I do for money. I doubt people would pay anything for my work as of yet anyway. ;P
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:36:51 PM by jamesster »

why are you here if your plan isn't to make money here?

Also, that's obviously a copy-paste message.
Yes, it is, because there's quite a few people making LEGO fan games and they've gotten asked multiple times (I've seen other people post slight variations on the reply when they asked LEGO about their own projects).