Poll

Do you think Personal Add-ons are OKAY?

Yes, Personal add-ons increase server appeal
81 (59.1%)
No, everything should be open-source
42 (30.7%)
(bonus) Private add-ons are also okay to me.
14 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: General Opinions on Personal add-ons?  (Read 9928 times)

To be clear, it was unlocked to continue an interesting and relevant discussion - not to continue stuffting on Pandan.

If a mod unlocks a topic, can the original OP lock it again?

Personally i really dislike the idea of any kind of private add-ons.
I would rather see all add-ons released, maybe not immediately, but at some point.
To me, the difference between personal and private add-ons is just minimal, the personal add-ons being pretty much private add-ons anyway.

I do get however that personal add-ons may attract more attention to a single server, but why keep it private/personal afterwards?
I am pretty sure some servers that used personal add-ons are not hosted anymore.
Why let that personal add-on get lost?

Overall, it's a bit of a grey area around private add-ons.

Private add-ons don't really seem to make a difference when it comes to server popularity, so if that's the only reason why anyone would keep them private: they should reconsider.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:58:44 PM by Deadzone »

Personally i really dislike the idea of any kind of private add-ons.
I would rather see all add-ons released, maybe not immediately, but at some point.
yep
didn't jetz do this climbing challenge for about a week then released the add-ons?

but yeah it's a really debatable topic

If a mod unlocks a topic, can the original OP lock it again?
locking wars
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:01:20 PM by The Resonte! »

i want jetz nuke to this day, those are some epic godamn particles

make a difference when it comes to server popularity,
yes, uniqueness.

I just made 8 private add-ons!

edit:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:01:38 PM by MARBLE MAN »

Tbh certain personal add ons like bricks (ie elms trees) should be public since bricks are rarely made. Even if he paid like 20 bucks for them its not like its 60 or even 90. That money can be earned back easily since it seems like he has a job considering he has paypal.

To be clear, it was unlocked to continue an interesting and relevant discussion - not to continue stuffting on Pandan.
then you also remove my reporting privileges

not like it matters because everything I report gets ignored anyways

That money can be earned back easily since it seems like he has a job considering he has paypal.
...are you stupid

...are you stupid
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#2

Quote from: user agreement
2.1 Eligibility. To be eligible to use the PayPal Services, you must be at least 18 years old and a resident of the United States or one of the countries listed on the PayPal WorldWide page.
you should be at least 18 years old

Tbh certain personal add ons like bricks (ie elms trees) should be public since bricks are rarely made. Even if he paid like 20 bucks for them its not like its 60 or even 90. That money can be earned back easily since it seems like he has a job considering he has paypal.

"Psh, who cares if we're distributing something without the Author's consent. He can just make another one.
Psh, why doesn't he just release his stuff? People want it. He shouldn't be able to make stuff for himself"

Blockland community. Most entitled community ever.

EDIT
Even if HE didn't PHYSICALLY make it. He COMMISSIONED it.

He decided he wanted to keep it for his land of blocks. And that's that.
It's his add-on. period.

"WELL THEY'RE BRICKS, THAT'S NOT FAIR TO US"
forget off.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:33:29 PM by Pandan »

selfishness of the community > selfishness of the author
one is many people the other isn't, guess which one has the priority

selfishness of the community > selfishness of the author
one is many people the other isn't, guess which one has the priority
Side-effects of a Entitled community

Servers lose add-ons that differentiate them from each other.
Kids that have entitlement issues grow stronger, cause the community to grow even more sour.
Add-on authors are discouraged from making content for other players.
Server hosts are discouraged from hosting something they don't have any control over being unique anymore.

ETC.