Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 433064 times)

creds to king for teaching me Love2D <3

i envy how alot of people have the patience and motivation/drive to make games though, i usually quit later on :[

i envy how alot of people have the patience and motivation/drive to make games though, i usually quit early on :[

fixed

I use Gamer Maker and RPG Maker 2003

I use Paint.Net and MS Paint for art
I use PXTone for music.

well most of the games i try to create are too hard for me to do, and generic because i have a really horrible imagination

:[

i feel strongly that you made this thread just so you could have an excuse to post your gifs.
in case you're still thinking this i'd just like to mention

are you implying there should be a game design megathread
no

...yes
i'd think bush originally got the idea from the number of people complaining about game design posts in the pixel art megathread.

Only somewhat relevant but yesterday I tried to make changes to the Blender Game Engine. Oh god why! It's already giving me nightmares!

:(

I use PXTone for music.

A wonderful alternative to PXTone is SunVox.

What do you guys suggest for music making programs?

Depends how you make music. Some people make music using sequencers while others make music by plugging their instruments into their computer. I use the M-Audio Axiom 61 with Air Ignite for song sketching. Other times I'll connect my Guitar to a Line 6 POD and record directly to my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and write my music through there.

I use Sonar Producer X1.

Here is a website listing free DAWs and MIDI sequencers.
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/25-free-digital-audio-editors/

You can turn your MIDI recorded songs into 8-bit chiptune music with surprising results using GXSCC which is also free.

Um, Bushido/LoserHero, small mistake in the new OP post. Unity is not visual based programming (although you can get a "plugin" for that). It requires typing up code, most commonly JavaScript and C#. Also, it's a great beginner engine if you don't want to start from the very beginning, but don't want to be spoonfed either. They also have the engine and API fairly well documented.

tetsujin is still running super hard

ModPlug Tracker. Highly versatile, easy to learn/use, and exports to .wav, .mp3, and .midi (if you're a loser and don't straight up use the .mod/.xm/.it files it makes already).

The only downsides are A: you need special tools if you want to directly use .mod/.xm/.it files in an engine (so long as it already doesn't support them, which many do), and B: you'll need to find your own instruments (however I can link you to several chiptune and non-chiptune instrument packs with lots of good sounds in them).