Author Topic: Playing LAN without internet?  (Read 1077 times)

Hello Forums!
When I visit my Dad, we meet at this place with no internet (not his house).
I was wondering if we could somehow play Blockland together on LAN.
I know LAN is for people that are connected to the same internet connection, but this is different.
If I run two multiclients and start a LAN server with one, the other multiclient will be able to join it.
I was wondering if we could 'hook' our two computers up via bluetooth ect. making it so we can play Blockland on the same (lan) server together.
My Dad has a Apple Snow Leopard and I have a Windows 7 Toshiba.

Take A spare computer or router and Ethernet cables in case, Then boot them up

Connect the ethernet cables to the back of the computers and your done

If you get what's known as a crossover cable (can pick up dirt cheap from any vaguely tech store, or make your own) you should be able to play together by just plugging that into either computer.

Both computers may need to have authenticated online previously so you can be not on demo (correct me if I'm wrong)...

Both computers may need to have authenticated online previously so you can be not on demo (correct me if I'm wrong)...
Only the LAN party host needs the full version.

Here is a third explanation. Forgive me if I'm not a 100% correct. But, you can use your router. Even if it isn't connected to the internet. It works sorta like this.

Computer -> Router(Network) -> Internet
Step one you connect to your Router(Network). (If you have wireless desktop connection it'll appear just like wifi normally will, it just won't have internet) At this point you don't need to go further. Being on a network is like being connected via cable, except its wireless. So for example, sometimes my internet cuts out, but I can still connect to my dedicated server on my other laptop because its just the internet that went out. Not my network.

Computer 1 -V
                  Network -> Internet
Computer 2 -^

Dunno if that one explains it better.

I just feel it might need a better explanation. Granted this is just simply from what I understand, but it is how its worked for me the past five years.

Sorry if I'm wrong.