Author Topic: Blender help  (Read 1279 times)

Hey guys,

There was a couple tools I'm used to in other programs (Primarily Autocad Inventor) that I haven't found in bleder and was hoping you guys could help me figure it out.

1) Radial Copying : I would use this for creating gears, rims, etc.
Essentially what it does  is is takes a selected segment, and copies its features 'x' amount of times around a center. When I used it in inventor you could select the frequency of things such as gear-teeth or spokes around the circumference of rotation.

2) Chamfering edges : Makes edges rounded
The only way I can think to do this is by extruding the edges on the z-axis is scaling them down in repetition, but Autocad had the option to pick the radius of chamfer and the ability to just click and edge and do it, so you could go back and do it as opposed to having to do it when you get to that point.

3) This isn't really from autocad, I just don't know how to do it, but coloring :
I don't know how people color certain segments of a model in model.

Any advice would be appreacited, thank you.

Well, wrong thread, but I'll answer your questions anyway.

1. Look up info on the array modifier. It basically duplicate an object in an array, and can be done around curves.

2. Create a bevel on the edge you want to chamfer. Subdivide it so that it has a bunch of sections spanning the width of the bevel. Select all the edges on the bevel, and use the "smooth" edit mode function (space bar, then type "smooth"). Untested, but I think it'd work. My need to do hit smooth several times.

3. In edit mode, select the faces you want to color. Then, select appropriate material in material window, and hit the "assign" button located beneath it.

-snip-

1. Depending on what you want, the Spin tool could be easier to use.

2. You can bevel by selecting edges or vertices and pressing Ctrl-B; an option to change the number of segments will appear on the lower left.

3. I don't know much about this, but Vertex (simple colors) or Texture (UV texture editing) Paint mode might work too.

For future reference: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=238380.0

3. I don't know much about this, but Vertex (simple colors) or Texture (UV texture editing) Paint mode might work too.
Assigning materials (What BluetoothBoy said) is easier and faster.

For the first one you're going to want to use an array modified with an object offset. I prefer using an empty as the object.

Or simply offset the object from its origin in edit mode.

Or simply offset the object from its origin in edit mode.
Using an empty gives you more control but that would work too although it's a tad tough to pull off. It's simply easier to use a separate object.

Alright, add the ingredients, then slot the lid on, then press the on button, then the blender will turn on. Empty into the glass and add milk, enjoy your milkshake!

Alright, add the ingredients, then slot the lid on, then press the on button, then the blender will turn on. Empty into the glass and add milk, enjoy your milkshake!
I vote you president of the BLF.