Author Topic: USB Powered Christmas Light?  (Read 749 times)

Ok so recently I had a free day and found a few spare Christmas lights laying around so I decided to try and light one up using batteries. I ended up being successful and attaching the light to a mini Christmas tree I have in my room.

(click to view large)

It's nothing much and it's pretty dull, but I didn't dare add more batteries in case I burnt out the bulb, I don't actually know how much power the bulb can take as it is stated nowhere. To light the bulb up I connected three 1.5 volt batteries in series, making the total potential difference of the circuit 4.5 volts, however it is probably lower due to the batteries being run down.

These are the batteries crappily attached together (click to view large)

Just now I have had the idea of connecting the bulb to a USB port on my computer, but I don't know whether to go ahead with the idea. I have a spare phone charger cable which I can cut and connect to the bulb, and USB ports only provide a bit more power than the batteries in series (which means the light probably won't burn out) but I am afraid if there are hazards to doing this. If raw cable comes in contact with a conductor while plugged into the computer, will my USB port/other components get damaged? What if the bulb consumes a lot more power than I thought? Will it cause damage? May I need to attach a resistor to the circuit? Do I need to cover the raw cables?

Advice would be much appreciated. I don't want to do something that can cause problems.

I doubt the bulb would consume a ton of power

Ok so I went ahead with it anyway and it works, it's considerably brighter now woo.

It's a pity I can't control the USB's voltage through software, that way I could create my own blinking sequence.

... Or can I?

there are things to do that, google it

someone may hack your christmas :o

there are things to do that, google it
On the device manager, it says all my USB hubs are self-powered so unfortunatly I don't think I can do it :(

aren't USB hubs 5 volts?

aren't USB hubs 5 volts?
Yeah, which is why I deemed it was safe to attempt this. I'm trying to find out if I am able to change the voltage of the port.

USB has an output of 5 volts.

Those lights are usually 3 volts. I'd suggest attaching a resistor so you don't burn it out. Possibly 1k OHM resistor.

Actually scratch that. USB voltage cannot be changed, even by the motherboard. Attaching a resistor to it will change the voltage going through the light to change it's brightness, but you will risk killing the USB all together.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:38:55 PM by Blockzillahead »

Yeah I don't think I'm bothered to find one anyway, but some USB devices use resistors to lower the voltage, the ones where you see a bulky cylindrical object on the cable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but considering the current of the USB hub is 0.5A, for the circuit to have 3 volts I would need a 3/0.5=6 ohm resistor? Sorry I've forgotten what I learnt at school last year, naughty me.

Yeah I don't think I'm bothered to find one anyway, but some USB devices use resistors to lower the voltage, the ones where you see a bulky cylindrical object on the cable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but considering the current of the USB hub is 0.5A, for the circuit to have 3 volts I would need a 3/0.5=6 ohm resistor? Sorry I've forgotten what I learnt at school last year, naughty me.

The current drawn by the LED light is ~2.0 amps.
I think USB's can do 5 amps, when charging devices but in general it does 0.5 amps.

Resistor calculator: http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz
Also I was wrong, 1k OHM resistor is way too much. Yeah it's somewhere around ~10 ohm resistor that you would need.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:08:26 PM by Blockzillahead »