Author Topic: Beginner Muzzle Flare Films  (Read 2019 times)

First one I did, more on the funny side.
Link

More serious one, I thought it was really good.
Link

Take note that I just started this today and I'm not that great at it.

it's good but i have a few complaints
the sound seems really off, in a small room there should be some more reverb/echos and it should be louder imo.
the recoil seems too small but I don't actually know too much about guns.
and it seems like it should be a bit bigger and maybe a frame or two longer.
I think it's quite nice

the recoil seems too small but I don't actually know too much about guns.
You sure about that in the first one?

and it seems like it should be a bit bigger and maybe a frame or two longer.
Don't know what you mean by this, though.

But thanks for advice!

It's kind of tacked on in the second one. You can actually see it, and it doesn't resemble a muzzle flash anymore. Recoil in the second one was nonexistant.

i can see the black edges in the second one

and there is absolutely no highlights/shadows on your face when you fire

Camera smash was cool though?

Camtasia 8 is kind of hard to do that stuff with I mean, It's beginner like I said I can't really do all that glow crap until i get enough money.

watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsViAvVYoMQ

what I noticed:
-muzzle flashes were clearly images, and didn't have any glow around the edges or semi-transparency anywhere. Movie muzzle flashes aren't simply just images slapped onto the end of a gun; you have to remember that since this is an explosion its not gonna be opaque around the edges.
-your images have a black tinge. Use an alpha layer and key the color black (or whatever is the background of those images) to the alpha so it reduces opacity based on the amount of black. This would also help fix most of the first point's issues.
-Recoil. The video I linked above handles the description it really well; it was way too exaggerated in the first (which is for humor), while in the second is nearly nonexistant. however when comparing to the video above, remember that rifles fire over longer ranges and so have a larger gunpowder casing, which means more recoil.
-scale the muzzle flash image, and use rotoscoping (found in another tutorial on the channel that posted the video above) to box out any edges of the gun that shouldn't have the muzzle flash over it.
-in the first video its rather clear you threw the gun because you let the front end go the second you shot the gun. Hold onto it next time as if you really needed to keep a grip on the gun, and didn't expect such a large recoil.
-lighting. don't overdo it and light up the whole room. notice how they do it in the video; its liberal, and covers mainly nearby faces, and certainly doesn't cover the entire wall or w/e. they also adjust the intensity of the lighting based on distance from muzzle.

general rule of thumb: if one or two frames of the video, pre-rendering, looks non-realistic, it's gonna look bad after render.

Jesus Christ Conan, I watched that same damn video.
Camtasia 8 is kind of hard to do that stuff with I mean, It's beginner like I said I can't really do all that glow crap until i get enough money.
I can't afford After effects right now and that's clearly what he's using.

Camtasia doesn't have all that fancy lighting crap and smoke effects.. I wish I could make my videos look like that.

For now I'm just going to have to stick to what I have and make the best of it.

*cough*

I don't think so; my parents have other things to pay for.

I can't afford After effects right now and that's clearly what he's using.
if you didn't see the end, he said that other video editing programs, even ones not built for vfx (sony vegas, final cut pro, adobe premiere) can do this. not having the exact program he used doesn't excuse you from doing something similar to what he did. your muzzle flares were grossly out of proportion with the gun, at least for movie-style muzzle flashes.

camtasia looks like either an expensive piece of stuff or something like paint.net or gimp is to photoshop, from what I can see in the images of the workspace.
its structure is rather similar to sony vegas, but much simpler, but that may just be the industry standard.

I highly suggest *ahem* obtaining a copy of sony vegas or adobe premiere. if you have a slower computer, sony vegas is preferable; otherwise just go for the power of adobe premiere and/or after effects.
older versions of sony vegas will probably do the best job for your case; you probably don't need the most up-to-date program, even if it is *ahem* available. I personally use sony vegas pro 11, and it does the job nicely, albeit requiring some unintuitive manual work.
plus using an older version is a half-decent excuse to your conscience for obtaining it in that method. if you end up liking it, just save up for the latest version and buy it when you get the chance, to show your gratitude to the developers

if you need help I could possibly set up some kind of screenshare chat with you for sony vegas pro 11. Make sure you get any downloads from reliable sources, if you do that.

I don't think so; my parents have other things to pay for.

apparently you didn't understand

oh, you cant afford it? *COUGH COUGH*

apparently you didn't understand

oh, you cant afford it? *COUGH COUGH*
If you're insisting that I am "poor" I agree with you.. I have two brothers and my dad is the only one who works.. so yeah.. My mom stays home and takes care of my brothers and I help? I don't see whats bad about it..?

If you're insisting that I am "poor" I agree with you.. I have two brothers and my dad is the only one who works.. so yeah.. My mom stays home and takes care of my brothers and I help? I don't see whats bad about it..?

you're one thick cookie

there's uh.. ways around the price