Reform the time zones

Author Topic: Reform the time zones  (Read 2739 times)

Time zones in the US suck for a couple reasons right now:
  • They abritrarily cut through state lines
  • Eastern and Central time are way too large, skewing the time away from actual solar time
  • Daylight Saving Time, which is useless. Check out the CGP Grey video on it.

There's some things we have to consider to make time zones better. Nobody would want more time zones, and we all like having time zones which only add a whole number of hours (e.g., we don't want Pacific Time to be 12:00 while Central is at 12:30.) There's a simple three-step solution that solves all these issues.

1. Kick Daylight Saving Time. Simple enough.
2. Re-divide the country into four new time zones between different meridians. When time zones were first implemented, it was obvious that there should be 24, one for each hour of the day. If you divide our 360-degre globe into 24 portions, you get portions of 15 degrees each. It turns out that the lower 48 occupies about 60 degrees, so it's easy to split into 15 degree sections like so.

Those are ideal boundaries for our time zones, but we don't want the lines cutting randomly through the states. So...
3. Make the time zones involve only whole states by placing each state that is cut by the lines on the side of the line where the state is most densely populated.

This creates a beautiful map of ideal time zones like so. Hawaii and Alaska stay on their own time zones because they're so far away.

Now we just need new names for the zones. Perhaps, going from left to right, Western Time, Frontier Time, Heartland Time and Appalachian Time.

12:00 pm Western Time is
1:00 pm Frontier Time,
2:00 pm Heartland Time,
3:00 pm Appalachian Time

That's a pretty good idea
Frontier time sounds kinda cheesy though imo

Interesting and logical idea. Not a fan of the names though =P

timezones arent just for the us...

None of those seem like actual problems. The way the world works now is fine as is.

why not just West, Mid-West, Mid-East, and Eastern time? The names should kinda correspond.

or what I would prefer, is for the world to have global time which is the same for everybody
and then everybody modifies their schedule to that

Seems redundant to make the time-zones correspond to entire states if those states are large enough to spread across different time-zones.

The reason for time-zones is because depending on where you are in the world, if you look up into the sky, the sun will be in a different location.
What's the point in having people in say, Eastern Texas look up and see the sun in the middle of the sky and call it Noon, yet people in Western Texas look up and see it elsewhere, yet still call it Noon?

Is there even a massive problem with having different time-zones? It's just so you can co-ordinate things with people on different parts of the world.
Maybe day-lights saving is unnecessary, although I quite like it as part of tradition, but I can't find any other problems with time zones.

or what I would prefer, is for the world to have global time which is the same for everybody
and then everybody modifies their schedule to that
Yes, that's called GMT.
The world changing the way it works to suit the conveniences of people too lazy to do addition is extremely unlikely.

Seems redundant to make the time-zones correspond to entire states if those states are large enough to spread across different time-zones.

The reason for time-zones is because depending on where you are in the world, if you look up into the sky, the sun will be in a different location.
What's the point in having people in say, Eastern Texas look up and see the sun in the middle of the sky and call it Noon, yet people in Western Texas look up and see it elsewhere, yet still call it Noon?

Is there even a massive problem with having different time-zones? It's just so you can co-ordinate things with people on different parts of the world.
Maybe day-lights saving is unnecessary, although I quite like it as part of tradition, but I can't find any other problems with time zones.
You just stated my opinion for me. Thanks.

Breaking news: There are timezones in the rest of the world not just America.

Breaking news: There are timezones in the rest of the world not just America.

Okay, I assumed that people here are generally American. It's a pretty American game.

Suck on my glorious EST

I don't see a problem with the current time zones really. And if you think its annoying having a timezone midstate than listen to this, I used to have a home right on the line. Walk from one side of the home to the other and its a different time.

Option 1 is handicapped.  Might as well not tell time.  If it's 12am in NYC and dark, it's 12am in LA and the sun might not be gone yet.

Option 2 isn't great, because then there will be towns that are like a mile apart but the time zone cuts between them (might already happen though, so...)

Option 3 is my favorite.  Pretty good idea.