Author Topic: Odd electrical phenomenon in my room.  (Read 768 times)

So, I have a plastic bin underneath my bed, and inside this bin is a Lego IR train controller. Now, the end of my bed is near the light switch, so the bin is almost directly under it. So here's the strange part. When I shocked myself on one of the light switch panel screws (accidentally the first time), the red light on the IR controller lit up, just as if I had pressed one of the buttons. I did it several more times, each with the same result. Any idea what could be causing this?

Electricity is causing it most likely.

electricity can travel through air

You have electrical ghost, you better move out.

But out of seriousness its probably just static in the air or something getting to it. Set up the train and shock yourself again, see if the train moves.

Electricity is causing it most likely.
Well, yes...

But this doesn't explain why it would activate an electronic device like that.

It really depends on the voltage and amperage that the controller requires.

Static shocks can be 50,000+ volts but are only 0.001 ampere, so they really can't do much.

Even air has continuity.  Its probably just traveling through the air.

Even air has continuity.  Its probably just traveling through the air.
It really depends on the voltage and amperage that the controller requires.

Static shocks can be 50,000+ volts but are only 0.001 ampere, so they really can't do much.
I get all this, but what's confusing me is how it's getting transferred. It's a plastic controller in a plastic bin, so it doesn't seem like static would work on it.

my dog has a lot of fur and makes a lot of static, especially on the carpets in my old house.

i had one of those electronic happy birthday cards underneath a bed and sometimes the static would trigger the card and id start hearing the song. i think it was in a plastic tub.

Either plastic loves static electricity or I'm a loving alien because almost every time I sit in a plastic chair after walking on carpet I get shocked.

When I shocked myself on one of the light switch panel screws (accidentally the first time), the red light on the IR controller lit up
It's possible that maybe the screw is coming in contact with the live wire, completing the circuit and powering the light.

To demonstrate, I (poorly) drew up a diagram.

RF interference might be causing it.

Your body might be inducing a small current into the controller

Electricity is weird.

I once had a metal detector in my closet that would beep every time lightning struck within a half mile of my house.

So you purposely shocked yourself several more times after?
Id call that a phenomenon.