So I got a Macbook for film school, heres my review of it

Author Topic: So I got a Macbook for film school, heres my review of it  (Read 1427 times)

So to start this review esque thing I'm gonna list the specs so you know what you're dealing with here:
- Intel i5 2.4GHz Processor
- 8GB of RAM
- 256 of flash memory
- Intel Iris Pro 1GB Graphics
- 13" Retina Display

SO before I actually got the laptop, I was very skeptical. Here are my before thoughts:
- Apple is stuff and everything they make is overpriced cow stuff
- Where should I commit hari kiri?

Then I got the laptop, and after, I kid you not, 2 hours of downloading programs removing programs and changing settings, I got it to where I wanted it to be. Here are my after thoughts:
- Holy stuff.
- Retina Displays actually look pretty damn good, I mean there is very little difference to my 21.5" 1920x1080 I have plugged into my custom-built, but it definitely is noticeable.
- IDK if it is just my computer's wireless ethernet adapter or something, but on this PC I get 10 down and round 3 up. On the Mac Book, I get 20 down and 7 up. I downloaded CS:GO in about a half hour. This shocked me with joy.
- I actually haven't played any games yet, but from what I have heard Intel Iris Pro 1GB graphics operates at about the same level a 650M does, but it uses up a ton less battery. I'ma try to play CS:GO with a PS3 controller and see how that goes. I already played Hotline Miami and it worked great. It looked awesome on the 2560x1600.
- still is overpriced, but I'm pretty happy.

TL;DR: Macs are still overpriced, but they aren't that stuffty.

oh and I also saw the new Mac Pro (aka the garbage can) and used it a bit.
I expected it to be the same height as my normal trash can, which is pretty tall. It is only like 6" tall. IT LOOKS SILLY AS forget. Seriously no amount of usage got me used to looking at this little cylinder. It just looked loving stupid. The little monitor they had on display had some wonky ass proportion but the guy said it had a 12core processor and could handle up to 32GB of RAM. It also costs $4000. Well I think the 2 people who bought it can safely say that it is the stupidest looking thing to ever come into existence.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:53:50 PM by 0xBRIANSMITH »

but from what I have seen Intel Iris Pro 1GB graphics operates at about the same level a 650M does,
whaaaaat

Yeah, Macbooks are very nice, but just too overpriced imo.

are you able to keep it forever?

are you able to keep it forever?
uh yes, I bought it with my own money.

oh, i thought like the school provided you with one

i thought you were against macs

i thought you were against macs
I was
but I guess Im now indifferent about them.

I don't know why people are so against Macbooks, my only real issue with them is:

Lots of games aren't made for Mac so I'd have an issue not being able to play a lot of games until/if they're compatible.
They are overpriced as hell.

Other than that they seem to have better quality than most Laptops, of course what you're paying for it, it had better be.

yeah i don't think many people say macs are necessarily bad, but as others have said, overpriced.
and idk, i'm no apple fan (actually i'm quite against it) but the mac pro totally blew my mind when i saw its size, in fact i'm kind of hoping to get the oppotunity to mess with it some day.

My next laptop will definitely be a MacBook. Not because I like Mac or like blowing excess money for no reason, but because I'd rather be that guy sitting in Starbucks writing a paper on his Mac than that creepy guy on his ThinkPad with full gamer headset on with one hand already down his pants scratching his balls with a box of dessert cake and no coffee.

My next laptop will definitely be a MacBook. Not because I like Mac or like blowing excess money for no reason, but because I'd rather be that guy sitting in Starbucks writing a paper on his Mac than that creepy guy on his ThinkPad with full gamer headset on with one hand already down his pants scratching his balls with a box of dessert cake and no coffee.
you could be that creepy guy in starbucks with his full gamer headset with one hand down his pants scratching his balls with a box of dessert cake and no coffee. you just use it for the wifi.

the PC equivalent would be like 500 bucks.